Bob Harper host of Biggest Loser had a heart attack

Well, looks like the notion of “survival of the fittest” still holds true. Let’s see how the CICO will play out.

(Dustin Cade) #10

I am not in control of the remote in my house when the lady is home…

(Michelle) #11

Sad. I hate to see younger-ish folks having heart attacks. Definitely something going wrong in there… who knows what type of lifestyle he leads. I know I saw him on Today show earlier this year promoting balanced plate — pull back on the fat, balance plate with carbs, some fats, and protein.

Who knows how he treats his body though.

Jim Fixx.

He is credited with helping start America’s fitness revolution, popularizing the sport of running and demonstrating the health benefits of regular jogging. He died of a heart attack while jogging at 52 years of age;

(Dustin Cade) #13

The show doesn’t really teach the contestants how to keep the weight off… most of them leave the show and gain most if not more of the weight back… though instead of seeing this and going there must be a problem with what they are taught, “we” think its just them going back to old habits, not being diligent, not maintaining the diet…

(Stickin' with mammoth) #14

Yup, I posted on this thread a few interviews I found featuring former contestants. I’m glad they figured out that it doesn’t work but I hope against hope that they keep looking for what does and find keto.

(Jenn Astwood) #15

This makes me sad, and I hope he’ll be ok. While I don’t agree with the CICO that he preached, he did come across as genuinely wanting to help people. Hopefully this will wake him up, but most likely, he’ll continue to blame genetics. As for me, I’ll just take it as even more encouragement that I am now on the right path to health, and a reminder that CICO is not the answer.

(Bacon for the Win) #16

Jim Fixx

(Crow T. Robot) #17

Or worse, listen to charlatans like David Katz and double down on the low-fat hi-carb.

I agree with you, I think he really wants to help people and seems like a good guy. Sad for him.

(Crow T. Robot) #18

I think you meant to say, “What is 24 straight days of rain in Portland, OR?”

(Zack F) #19

Sad. The only highish profile health trainer I can think of that is LC/keto friendly is Vinnie Tortorich.

(MakinBacon) #20

I’m listening to the rebroadcast of Mad As Hell right now. Now I’m reading this, and it makes me double mad. I used to watch The Biggest Loser and believed in the CICO and low fat method for years. I wish I knew about keto 15 years ago…

(Georgia) #21

I think he’s actually vegan. At least he was on one season of the show.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #22

It’s sunny today, Crow. I know because everybody bum-rushed Trader Joe’s at the same time. They won’t use umbrellas but they don’t like wet fur any more than I do, apparently.

(Carol Hawkins) #23

Looks like he’s pro carbs, anti salt: http://www.eatthis.com/bob-harper-lose-weight-fast

(jketoscribe) #24

Here’s what he preaches about diet: http://www.eatthis.com/bob-harper-lose-weight-fast

What would be really interesting is if there was a Kraft analysis of his insulin levels. I think that would tell the story about how the etiology of his myocardial infarction and what he should be focusing on.

But that will never happen, to his detriment. He will continue on thinking his cholesterol levels should be even lower, his salt intake should be nil, and that he should eschew all fat–especially saturated fat–in favor of a diet made mostly of whole grains, veggies, and fruit. And he will dutifully take his statins, too–EVEN if his cholesterol wasn’t elevated in the first place.

None of that stopped progression of the disease for Bill Clinton, either.

(Crow T. Robot) #25

In lieu of the Kraft assay, I’d like to know his trig/HDL ratio and HOMA-IR. I bet the story is told.

I’m no expert in physiology or anything like that. However, I looked through google images to see if I can see changes in Bob’s body throughout the past years. He has added many tattoos to his body, which makes it easier to track the chronology of his body pics. It looks like he’s gained weight, mainly on his torso, and also added a bit of abdominal bulge. I wonder if he is experiencing metabolic issues/diseases.

Early picture

Later picture (more tattoos)

(Stickin' with mammoth) #28

There’s more to this than physical health and vanity.

First pic:

He’s got his arms at his sides, exposing his abdomen in a “Check me out, nuthin’ to hide, come at me, Bro” posture. Confident people readily expose their vulnerable bellies full of vital organs because they either have no fear of attack or are quite confident they can thwart one. CEOs and people in power often stand with their hands on their hips like this because they are the predator, the top of the food chain, while underlings almost never do.

Second pic:

He’s got his arms crossed in a protective, concealing configuration. No, he isn’t showing off his tats. He’s sacrificing our view of half of them for the sake of this defensive position. (If this was a tat shot, he’d do well to have his hands clasped behind his head with his back to us, looking over his shoulder.) The arm cross rounds his shoulders down, making him appear smaller and less of a target, and puts up a social shield. Also, instead of tucking his right hand in like the rest of us do, he’s grasping his left arm in a self-soothing gesture that telegraphs insecurity.

The first pic says, “I’m ready for whatever you got,” the second one begs, “Don’t hurt me.”

Edit: I just perused some of his later photos online and it does seem like he’s attempting to conceal a fuller face under the beard.

Yes, his poses are definitely opposite (offensive versus defensive).

I saw that, too, with his neck and chin getting thicker. On some photos, where it shows the side of his face, it’s noticeable that he gained some neck/chin weight. His beard helps to conceal it, and not as noticeable when looking at him directly.

I hope my comments don’t come off as fat shaming. I hope no one gets offended by this analysis. I’m just trying to understand what happened with his recent heart attack, and trying to piece a few chronological clues (like the diet he promotes in his diet plan, which has high carb, lean proteins, CICO methodology, etc). I really hope Bob gets an understanding of what’s happening to his body, so that he can reverse the damage. He can turn this around, if he is willing to explore all alternatives, and not blindly follow the same “party line”. He’s been given a “second chance”. I hope he takes it!