Blood Work for a Non Diabetic

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #1

I’m not a diabetic, but I want to know that I am healthy.

If I were to goto the doctor and ask for bloodwork, what am I looking for? I want to know what my cholesterol is currently like even though I am almost 5 weeks in.

Is that something that people do, just to get an idea of their overall health or this not a good idea because it’s pointless?

(Bacon for the Win) #2

I’m non-diabetic and like to know my lab values.Here’s what I get:

CBC (complete blood count)
BMP (basic metabolic panel)
lipid profile ( cholesterol)
fasting blood sugar and A1c, also fasting insulin

B12 and vitD if so inclined.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #3

Thank you :slight_smile:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #4

From what I have gleaned from the forum, many members wait six months after starting keto to get tested, as some values, such as LDL can go up during the adjustment period. The above suggestions for what to have tested are excellent. I have blood results from a year ago but am only starting week six of Keto so will probably wait a few more months to get tested. But it’s a good idea to do because those tests can tell you so much about what is going on in your body. Comparing the tests year-to-year is also useful, in my opinion.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #5

Okay, I’ll give it another few months. I’m only 5 weeks in now so will wait til the 6 month mark :slight_smile:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #6

You don’t have to wait. My insurance only pays for one test a year. So I will wait. But if you are curious, and willing to pay out of pocket, many pharmacies and private labs can do testing for a reasonable cost.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #7

I’m Australian so I am quite sure these tests may be bulk bulled from my GP. I’ll call them to ask :slight_smile:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #8

Keep us posted!