Blood Pressure Standard

(E.O.) #1

Recently, at the local store’s blood pressure machine where I can check my hydration level and % of body fat with their electronic meters, the machine made me “agree” to a new terms of service before using the machine. Blood pressure changed, once again. In my life time, this is the 3rd such change. So what would have been “normal” bp when I was born, was until just recently considered “at risk” and is now considered “high” according to these new guidelines. I do not recall seeing any studies or science proving we should change the ranges and labels. Since this is the Show me the Science, has anyone else seen science stating this change is something more than marketing to sell more BP meds and MD visits? Curious…

(Ron) #2

This could help some -

(E.O.) #3

Cool! Thanks @mtncntrykid

(karen) #4

All I can say is that the standards for what is obese and what is high cholesterol have both changed in my lifetime, magically coinciding with the development of commercial statins and the diet industry. I think the standard for FBG has also changed as we turned diabetes into a multi billion dollar industry. Magic, I’m telling you.

(E.O.) #5

Strongly suspecting what’s behind the “magic” is really a marketing ploy, not real facts. . . still researching tho…