Blood Ketone Level on OMAD

(Donna-Rae Crowell) #1

I recently started OMAD. I am eating a meal of about 1,000 calories in the evening. I couldn’t force myself to eat more. Since I started, by blood ketones level continue to rise to ridiculous levels. First 4.3, then 6.3 and last night 7.5. That is starvation level and yet I am not starving or even hungry. Blood glucose levels stay around the 70s, occasionally dip into the sixties and once into the fifties. Usually,
for an hour or two after I eat it may be between 80-85. Not sure what to think about this. I know that the larger blood ketone reading is not the better. Last night I ate a large beef kielbasa link, dipped in mayo, a good amount of chopped kale with a homemade avocado, oil, vinegar, salt dressing, 4 oz. of cheese and a pickle. Not sure if I should get off of OMAD or try to force myself to eat more to bring the ketone levels down. Any thoughts?

(Donna-Rae Crowell) #2

I should have added, if it matters, that I run either on the treadmill or outside when I get home from work before eating my OMAD every day.

(mole person) #3

My ketones are always around 6 on OMAD. I’ve been doing it for two years with no problems at all. I do break OMAD a couple of days a week though and have two meals instead.

Also, I disagree with the notion that higher ketones don’t matter. I know I lose weight faster when they are higher and if I go low enough I actually find I am generally GAINING fat.

(Donna-Rae Crowell) #4

Your post made me feel better if you have had very high blood ketone levels for two years and have had no problems. Maybe I’ll be ok as well. I know that I couldn’t possibly eat any more in that meal. I’m not diabetic, btw. I forgot to say that in my original post. Thanks for answering my post so quickly.

(Karim Wassef) #5

It’ll settle down. As your liver adapts, it’ll come down to 3-4. You’re probably experiencing a surge as your body tries to figure out what’s going on.

This is the most wasteful period and it goes away once you’re adapted. You won’t get this kind of fat loss speed again unless you do multi-day fasting. That’s what happened with me anyway.

Think of it as a ketone honeymoon… it’s awesome and you wish it would last forever… but then your liver figured out what you’re doing.

There’s a wife joke in there somewhere but I’m leaving it alone :smiley:

(Donna-Rae Crowell) #6

Thanks. I know, it like being in ketosis on steroids.

(Allie) #7

No such thing.
If you feel good stop stressing and carry on doing what you’re doing.

(Donna-Rae Crowell) #8

Blood Ketones went down to 3.6 when I test last night.

(Joey) #9

Very reassuring to read this encouraging thread … helps ease some angst over here.

As posted elsewhere, been on LC/HF for just over 2 weeks and feeling awesome in so many ways. Normal eating cycle for me has long been: late lunch & dinner (16/8 I.F. equivalent) even when eating HC/LF diet for many years. No health issues and am in fairly good shape (for a geezer).

But my blood ketones keep rising to surprising levels (3.0, 3.8, 4.1, and just now 6.9 mmol/L) … all the while my glucose remains well below 90 (currently 77 mg/dL) - so my GKI ratio is less than 1.0.

Looking at various online charts that portray and characterize various levels of ketosis, these figures look SCARY. But I’m feeling great, very healthy glucose levels, so I’m just going to chalk it up to my body trying to figure out what’s going on - and allowing me to enjoy myself at the same time :slight_smile:

Thanks for easing my algebraic angst!