Blood Glucose/Insulin Response from LaCroix Water

(anonymous65) #1

With the help of Richard’s glucose curve testing procedures I have been dying to know if this LaCroix water raises my insulin. I know it says no sweeteners of any kind, but I just wanted to know if my insulin reacts even to the taste of it. I chose their Curate Blackberry Cucumber flavor for my test.

Again, using Richard’s technique as described in the link below, here are my results.

T0 (before drinking) = 88 (4.9)
T30 (30 min after) = 91 (5.1)
T60 (60 min after) = 90 (5.0)

Can I assume that I had no insulin response? Richard mentions that due to the inaccuracy of the meters, if I’m within 20% I’m good. Please tell me I can drink these during a fast! :slight_smile:

Carbonated Water?
(Scott Shillady) #2

That’s definitely what I would infer from this test

(Karen Parrott) #3

agreed, looks the same, knowing there will be some measurement -/+ from instrumentation alone. Good info! Thanks for sharing.

(anonymous65) #4

Woohoo! Next up, artificial sweeteners…

Love lacriox water!! Wonder now about my Zevia. I may have to test that. I usually split one a day with my daughter. So 1/2 a day.

(anonymous65) #6

Not a bad idea. As I understand it, artificial sweeteners have quite varied reactions in people.

(William L Schoonmaker Sr ) #7

I do well with just Stevia.

Did you continue the test after 60 minutes? The insulin response may show up later.

(anonymous65) #9

No I did not. I was using Richard’s protocol as described in the link above. I’m no pro, and maybe it’s wishful thinking, but it didn’t seem like there was much of a response. Have you ever tested LaCroix flavors for insulin response?

No. I was looking at the link, and Richard went on until he returned to baseline, then it dipped lower and returned again at 4 hours.

(anonymous65) #11

Good point. I thought of that but he describes a 20% margin of error for these devices and I figured that all of the readings were within that margin. What do you think?

I think they’re close enough to the same that there isn’t an immediate glucose response to worry about. The readings should be fairly consistent from reading to reading with one meter, even if the meter itself is accurate to only 20% of lab values. One of mine has issues with temperature variations, but I digress…

I was more curious if the readings dropped below baseline at the 2 or 3 hour point, as an indicator of insulin response.

Oh, wow, I’ve never thought to test after LaCroix! And I drink it almost everyday!

(anonymous65) #14

Let me know what your reaction is. Some of those more recent flavors are quite sweet, making me suspicious. As Carol mentioned, I wonder if I should have continued to test. Maybe another day.

(Stephanie Hanson) #15

@carolT & @richard I have a question about the glucose response testing. Specifically about an inferred insulin response.

I’ve tested several foods over the last several months. With the exception of cheese (havarti) and keto sour patch bears, everything I’ve tested has. T60 that’s slightly lower than my T0. It’s never been more than 20% lower. But it’s still lower.

For example,
Zevia Dr Zevia flavor
T0. 84. 8 yellow blinks
T30. 74. 1 red blink
T60. 69. 8 yellow blinks

This is the lowest of everything I’ve tested. I didn’t continue with the testing b/c I had errands to run and didn’t want to do fingersticks while on the road.

Is the 20% error margin still applicable or is ANY drop below T0 reactive hypoglycemia? Thx for your input.

(Nick) #16

Most likely you’ve just diluted your breath ketones temporarily. I’d imagine the same would happen if you drank sparkling water.

(Jamie Hayes) #17

Could you do the same test with Diet Coke? Please!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #18

Ew. Your poor teeth.

(Stephanie Hanson) #19

Out of curiosity, why? I might do it next week and continue longer with the blood glucose readings. I wouldn’t mind testing doc Nally’s theory. Although my response will certainly be different than yours.

(Stephanie Hanson) #20

That might be an interesting experiment.