Black Bean Substitute

(Roy B) #1

Does anyone have a good substitute for Black Bean?
I found a dish called Feijoda that only need minimal adjustments to turn it into a keto friendlier dish. The only issue is that the main ingredient of this dish is Black Bean and from what I googled, it has high Carb content.
The ingredient uses 250 gr black bean to make 4qt dish, if split into individual portions, it will be pretty low, but if I can push it lower, it would be even better.

(TJ Borden) #2

I’ve heard black soy beans are super low carb, as long as you’re okay with soy. I’ve never tried them though.

I use these. Half a cup - Very few carbs - 4 net or so per can. They go a long way in a chili etc…

https://www.amazon.ca/Eden-Foods-19280-Organic-Black/dp/B004T2THWM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1522522980&sr=8-7&keywords=black+soybeans

(Sophie) #4

They’re really good. :+1:

(TJ Borden) #5

Are they similar to regular black beans in flavor? It looks like the whole can is less than 4 net g. I’m thinking I need to order some.

Yes, I have had them in a chilly and couldn’t tell the difference!

(Mike) #7

We started using Black soy beans after seeing them in a post here and have not had anyone notice any difference! We get them at a local market for about $3 a can

Yes, right you are - I was looking at the fat!

(Sophie) #9

I couldn’t tell a difference either. I also couldn’t find them locally. I had to order them. It was cheaper for me to get a case from the MFG than to order them on Whamazon.

(TJ Borden) #10

Well, that settles it. Ordering a case now. :yum:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/2814657/2

1 gram net carb per 1/2 c

(Liz ) #12

I like those black soy beans but they tasted to me and had the same texture as green ones (edamame) and not the texture of regular black beans. Still, an acceptable substitute imo.

I agree. In chile, I don’t really notice the difference… but I don’t think they pass for refried beans.

(Melis Jansen ) #14

I actually would buy these before I did Keto and had no idea they were low carb. I will definitely be stocking up on these on my next trip to the market.

I used to love making black bean soups and now I can again. I also like them in taco salads.

(John B) #15

I’ve been substituting Black Soy beans since starting my diet, with no problems at all. You must be OK with soy however.

(Brian) #16

Hate to say it but for all the more often I eat refried beans, I just eat the real thing, knowing that I’m getting way more carbs. Maybe 8 or 10 times a year, if that, and always in small amounts anyway.

I also still have reservations about soy, hormone wise.

I looked at them for a good while, too, and wondered whether I should just go ahead and get some. Then my wife started having some reactions (swelling and hives, not nice) when we had soy, so that kinda clinched it for us.

True. Real beans are like 8 net carbs for 1/3 cup, which is enough for me.

(Karen Mayrand) #18

Try Vitacost. They were about $1.80/can and they often have 20% off sales. The packaging is amazing and they have very fresh macadamias and brazil nuts, coconut milk with no gums, coconut wraps, coconut manna, Primal Kitchen mayo and lots of other great food items. It doesn’t take much to get free shipping too.