BJJ and Keto

I think many of the studies out there on Ginger’s cortisol reduction and everything else are based on the dry powder in capsules, for guaranteed purity and dosage control - two doses per day, one capsule each time totals 1.1 gram dry ginger - which is only around .6 gm carbs. Pickled is wonderful with some meals indeed - but to get the concentration of the powder it’d take too much pickle to the overheating point. But when one meal has some, or some sauteed shredded Ginger in generous amounts - it might certainly replace one of the doses, that’s what I do.

In ayurveda, the dry powdered Ginger is considered to have different properties, more heating and more medicinal. Vasant Lad, in the Yoga Of Herbs, has a great section on it, as well as an ancient recipe for mixing dry Ginger w/ a bit of its tea or juice and forming in homemade pills for those who are interested. I suppose it’s even cheaper than the 120 capsule bottles for $8!

Yes, esp on OMAD days, it’s easy for everyone to up the carbs to some degree - especially for those who aren’t metabolically deranged. Have been following some of Grace Liu’s LCHF-friendly work about “building the warrior gut” for microbiome health. Apparently butyrate is made in really large quantities by certain good bacteria in the gut, and they are fed by certain kinds of resistant starches and fibers, and in turn, butyric acid does amazing things to protect us from excessive fermentation - good for both physical and mental health. And certain kinds of rice as well as cooked veg fiber feeds that process.

Microbiologist Norm Robillard’s work on the subject has been praised by LCHF doc Michael Eades which is how I found out the concept of hard-to-digest carbs as having “Fermentation Potential” (FP). For folks with gut issues, limiting FP, as opposed to just limiting overall carbs, is his approach - and it all depends on the gut health of the person.

I personally think the superfood Ginger is a panacea for many ills, - and is the secret to traditional Asian and north African cultures’ agile and lean elders - along with good fats flowing well!

(CharleyD) #42

Whew, a lot to digest, pun intended. I’ve got a root I’ll shave into anything and everything for now then pick up capsules once it’s expended. I’ve always had an affinity for hot spices, now there’s science to tell me it’s good for me :exploding_head: Score!

Shoot, can’t hit the warrior gut page at work. It’ll have to wait for later. I have found her site I believe:
https://thegutinstitute.com/

If this all works, I’ll be happy to be a agile and lean 40-something, hah!

Just a semi-random update. I’ve been taking about a tablespoon of pure maple syrup about 15-30 minutes before workouts and it has helped a ton. I’ve been Keto for about eight months now and only recently tried the TKD thing. I don’t take any afterwards.

I lift in the morning in a fasted state (~25 minutes) and usually do some form of boxing for an hour in the afternoon/evening 5-6 times a week (usually in a fasted state, sometimes not). I only take the tablespoon of maple syrup before boxing. It’s really been night and day with feeling fatigue while working out. (I tried regular/cheaper syrup and had a bad headache the rest of the day.)

(CharleyD) #44

Pure maple syrup eh? I could give a tablespoon a shot certainly.

I’ve found creatine to be wonderful, especially for bodyweight and conditioning exercises and bag drills we always have. But I’ve yet to see any benefit to sparring. The only time I really feel full of energy and that ‘just can’t wait to spar’ spirit is either after having had a coffee with coconut or MCT oil, or after 24 hours of fasting.

Either way, now I have to have ketones it seems, or at least flood the place with triglycerides.

The last few days I’ve been waiting a bit longer after taking the maple syrup and have been experiencing hypoglycemia after workouts, I think, because of the spike in insulin and subsequent drop from working out. It’s only happened the last two days (both days I’ve waited about 30 minutes before working out). I’m going to try taking it immediately before working out tomorrow to test my hypothesis.

Can anyone tell me if this is a realistic hypothesis?

Actually, never mind. What I thought was hypoglycemia was probably something else; I think it was caused by a food item and not related to maple syrup or exercise except peripherally, perhaps.

(CharleyD) #47

I haven’t pulled the trigger on buying maple syrup yet, but over this past week I’ve finished Body by Science and after learning about the different muscle fiber types, I’m convinced I’m going to need a bit more carbs targeted to replenish the various type II fiber’s glycogen stores, otherwise I’m going to be in trouble come testings/tournaments.

Now it’s debating on which form, whether syrup, sushi rice, Smarties or what else.

This link is helpful: https://www.ruled.me/targeted-ketogenic-diet-indepth-look/

“The Takeaway: Eat 25-50 grams of carbs from high-glucose, non-fat foods like gummy bears, hard candies, Gatorade, Powerade, and natural maple syrup. Cleaner forms of glucose like dextrose supplements and glucose gel packs may be even more effective. Consume protein with your carbs to boost muscle growth and/or MCTs to increase ketone levels.”

Maple syrup still contains fructose, apparently. You should aim to get pure glucose, if possible. The maple syrup has been working pretty consistently for me (though I don’t always take it—whenever I do, my workout is much improved). Good luck!

(CharleyD) #49

Well said. My 23andme just got done during last week’s vacation and I’m eyeballing the ‘bad’ SNPs last night and today via Promethease, and I think these increased risk for fatty liver SNPs would probably appreciate less fructose, hah.

My experience with BJJ and Keto has been:

1. I eat a small meal a couple of hours before training
  2. Drink raw amino acids with water during and after training (small quantity)
  3. Drink a water, olive oil & salt mixture post training.
  4. I may eat half an avocado post training.

Being on Keto i believe has given me agility during training i put this down to lack of inflammation and a clear mind!

(Julian Webber) #51

Thanks Haych,

I must admit, I’ve been struggling. In the run up to Christmas, I’ve been able to train four or five times a week, and my ketones have been quite high, around the 1.2 to 2.0 mark most days. But I’ve been REALLY tired on the mats and my rolling has suffered. Last week, I had a work Christmas party and had my first beer in three years. Which led to my second and third. Rolling the next day, out of ketosis, was a blast! I was full of energy and the rolling felt really good. Needless to say, I may have to copy your protocol as rolling in full ketosis may not be the right path for me…

Hey Julian,

Do let me know how you go, Leading up to Keto i was fealing quite the opposite, slow (t), sluggish and cloudy.

Haych.