Binged on sugar again

(Bunny) #21

I myself do not like to think about sugar or highly refined carbohydrates as an “addiction.” Just because I drink alcohol on some occasions which is rare for me does not mean I’m an alcoholic!

“SUGAR IS AN ACID”

Same with sugar, it is a potent acid or ribo-nucleic-acid, we are made of it (RNA) that’s why we crave it so much, but at the same time it can damage your pancrease eventually when we catabolize too much of it directly.

When you quit eating too much sugar; the parts of your body that need to be more alkaline becomes more alkaline rather than acidic and vise versa with acidic parts of the body that need to be more acidic or homestatic equilibrium.

It’s about awareness and education; the very real damage refined or natural sugar can do if you eat it too much of it all the time?

High carbohydrates are harmless if you don’t make it your primary source of nutrition?

I really like Dr. Fung’s analogies, we can also go too far with fasting (a tool) and being hyper-vigilant about food to the point where it becomes an obsession of black and white thinking, there is a grey area and having of an education about what causes the problem to begin with is something nobody can ever take away from you?

Sugar is a clear acidic crystalline like structure and is what carbon based life forms are made of:

(Melis Jansen ) #22

I try and remember how bad I felt when I binged and associate that feeling with it. I’m lucky I don’t seem to have that problem with wanting sugar but I do sometimes drink too much vodka and overeat keto foods like cheese and greasy meat. Hello acid reflux!

(Laurie) #23

Hi, @Zenjen. Yes, I’ve had similar experiences, and sometimes it’s taken me years to get back on track. It’s great that some people can have birthday cake or whatever once in a while. But I believe I’m a sugar addict and can’t let myself go there. It’s so tempting, and there is social pressure, but giving in just isn’t worth it.

However, it does take some time to figure it all out, to learn new skills, how to avoid the pitfalls, etc.

Distract yourself with other activities if you can. But if you can’t. . . . For a while I had to just “sit” with my sugar cravings and food cravings. I’d sit and think about certain foods for two or three hours, but I wouldn’t give in. I don’t think about them any more.

Our addict’s mind does play tricks on us; it will try to tell you that everything will be fine and you can get away with eating _____. When that happens, remember how awful it was to keep eating and get a stomach ache. Think about the self-love that you want to feel again. Give yourself the right to say “No thanks” to cake and to anything else that will make you ill.

Come to the forums for moral support, and to help others on here. I believe it helps keep us on track.

(Joanna Parszyk ) #24

Me too! Healthy little something to keep you healthy and happy. Can be done but it takes more time and consistency to form proper habits and for those cravings to go away. I learned it over time.
Now if l happen to indulge or stress eat it is still keto.
Hope it will work out for you!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

Of course it doesn’t. The great majority of people can handle sugar and alcohol without becoming addicted.
The percentage of us who are vulnerable to becoming addicted is estimated to be between 10 and 20 percent.

Basically, addiction can be defined as a condition that makes self-control impossible where the substance or behavior in question is concerned, The key physical mechanism of addiction is the down-regulation of dopamine receptors in the cells of the nucleus accumbens, the brain’s reward center. Alcohol, opium, morphine, heroin, fructose, sex, gambling, shopping, etc., can all have an effect on the nucleus accumbens that makes resisting further doses of the poison difficult, if not impossible, in vulnerable people.

(Tara Lambert) #26

I agree with you Paul. Sugar, artificial sweeteners and just food in general make you feel good (dopamine) of course they can be an addiction… Does anyone have experience with over eaters anonymous?