Bike ride

(Susan) #1

Due to an elective foot surgery in 2014, then an accident in 2015 that resulted in a dislocated patella that required surgery and and extensive recovery time I have not ridden my bicycle for some time…made an attempt a year ago but the knee still wasn’t quite flexible enough. Fast forward to this past August and I attempted a short ride and did all right, it was quite the rush. And last weekend took a ride on a trail that’s basically level, had gone 3 miles one way and then thought my husband would have to ride back and come pick me up. But he encouraged me to try it for a little bit, and dang if I didn’t make it all the way back to the car. I was really happy! The funny thing is before we left he asked if I wanted a granola bar in case I got tired (used to get very tired on even a short ride years ago when I was in better shape) but I declined and said “No, I’m a fat burner now, will take some nuts & beef jerky just in case but no sugar” – ate a cheese stick before we left and I was fine, didn’t have to have a snack at all. Now I realize that it was a short ride, but the biggest achievement for me was to be able to do the whole thing with a minimum of whining and/or complaining – and no stopping. Plus I actually enjoyed it, was a beautiful afternoon. I was slow as molasses, but hoping my strength continues to improve the longer I keto and my pace will improve over time.

It’s amazing how long it can take to come back from injury, isn’t it? Congratulations on your recovery!