Big Sous Vide

(Jacob Wagner) #1

I am looking at a 14lb brisket in the store.

I want to sous vide it, but both my box and bags aren’t big enough.

Do you have any suggestions?

–Jacob

(Running from stupidity) #2

Cut it in half?

(Mike W.) #3

This one did happen to fit in a bag, but for bigger ones I’ve used 2 gallon ziploc.

(Mike W.) #4

I’m relieving you of your BBQ card. If anything separate the flat from the point.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Been at the sous vide thing for a couple of years heavily. I use it several times a week. Larger long term cooks above about 150F can cause ziplocks to get a leaky seam and flood you bath with meat juice and ruin your cook. Especially something like brisket which I am guessing will be cooking 2-3 days. Double bag and when you can get one I recommend a vacuum sealer like Foodsaver. An added benefit is buying large packs of meat and salting, bagging and freezing smaller portions which can be cooked while frozen on the fly without any prep daily. And those bags are leakproof even at boiling point. I second the cutting in half and doing two cooks unless you need the huge quantities at once for a gathering or something.

(Jacob Wagner) #6

There seem to be allot ov concerns about cooking in plastic. I normally split the difference and use silicone bags for sous vide. But, I don’t have one big enough for this kind of cook.

Do you have any thoughts about plastic safety for large cooks?

–Jacob

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

I don’t worry about it, maybe it’s a concern but it’s food grade bpa free plastic. It seems they always find stuff about so many things we accepted over the years. Teflon, aluminum, plastics with bpa, crystal with lead, glazes on ceramics with cadmium and paper products with dioxins. And then there’s harmful elements of food like mercury in seafood. Probably safest to eat off of banana leaves but I don’t.