Big drop in body fat percentage and visceral fat

Hi,

So, are my body composition scales way off or is this for real?!

Last week my visceral fat score was 5 and my body fat percentage was 35.9%. My skeletal muscle was 26.4%.

Today my visceral is 3, body fat percentage is 28.3 and muscle is 26%

Can I have lost that amount of fat in just one week? It looks like it’s mostly come off my visceral fat ,which is wonderful, and some from my muscle mass.

My overall weight only went down by 2lbs but my clothes are definitely looser.

I have the Omron Karada body composition scales. What do you think guys, could I really have lost so much fat?!

Oh and at first my BMR was going down but now it seems to be going up - that’s a good thing yeah? Does that mean I’m making some more muscle so my BMR increases?

(John) #2

Dont really have an answer but if you are using an at home scale it could be that you have less water and so the electronic pulse reads a bit different. Not for sure though

Yea, changes in hydration levels can throw readings off.

Somebody will know the study I’m about to speak of, the researcher let the study participants have a few days of carbs before their week 11 or 12 so that they could have similar hydration and muscle glycogen levels instead of their hydration throwing off the measurements.

(Troy) #4

Not sure
Especially with home scales and accuracy
I don’t know how it could possibly measure visceral fat and be " accurate ".

One thing to look on to would be getting a DEXA Scan if available in your area

Search on the forum for info

Good Luck😄

Hmph :expressionless: I was super excited to. I’ll check again next week and see if it’s lasting.

Thanks for the replies.
Xxx

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

Be realistic. If it seems too good to be true it probably is.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Well, it’s certainly possible, but these impedance scales are not always 100% accurate, and our progress is not always in a straight line, so don’t be upset if the scale changes its mind. Just enjoy the news for now. But visceral fat generally clears up first, so these numbers are definitely plausible.

As for BMR, a rise is a good sign. You are using energy at a faster rate, so that is good news from the point of view of losing fat. Many things can cause BMR to rise. Healthier mitochondria are one thing, and giving your body enough calories is another. Also, as energy intake goes up, the body finds more things to do with it, so it brings processes back on line that might have been shut off on other diets.

What was the study done with low carb dieters and energy expenditure? It looked at mitochondrial uncoupling, I want to say.

Anyways the findings indicated that ketones caused fat cells to produce more heat, which is inefficiency causing something like 50 extra calories burned per day. It was on one of the podcasts with a guest professor.

(Failed) #10

Is this the one you’re thinking of?

Sounds right.

(Bunny) #12

This scale is probably programmed to compare variables from readings (internal database) of other people? e.g. data from what is seen in people with certain vital signs etc. and amount of visceral fat?

Only way to be sure is to maybe get a DEXA scan?

I personally would not trust such a device!

Ditto!