Big 24 hour effort all fat adapted/MAF

(ianrobo) #1

So those who follow me on Strava may have seen this bit for the rest this is the power of fat adaption

https://www.strava.com/activities/1845684458#comments

Basically 24 hour event around Brands Hatch - UK racing circuit and all up/done and no flat … So if you look at my laps (each was a spell out on the road then a rest in) you can see yes I slowed down, power down but look at the HR

So even though I eat a lot during the event and was just carbs etc at no point did I feel like I would Bonk and in fact the last 8 hours or so had very little food and was fine.

Any more evidence needed ?

(ianrobo) #2

here is a little video at 2AM ha ha

(ianrobo) #3

being checking my stats and despite the nature of the course I only briefly went into Zone 4 … that saves so damn much

(Nathan Toben) #4

i’m little confused but absolutely fascinated!

could you maybe detail your training/nutrition leading up and then what you ate during and how you felt fat adaption played a role in your ultra?

i’m training for Pinhoti 100 in Alabama, gearing up for a 42-mile love run his sunday so what you are talking about is right up my alley.

(Mike Glasbrener) #5

Power output really flat and heart rate is pretty low… Sweet!

(ianrobo) #6

Yep and key to that Mike is hours and hours at MAF

(ianrobo) #7

Ok training was all done at MAF with some intervals and nutrition basic Keto and nothing else. During the event I eat what I felt like but fat adaption was key in preserving precious carb stores and always having access to energy. What slowed me up in the end was not lack of energy but muscle soreness.