Bhb Salts..any suggestions on brand that really works

(Peggy Saar) #1

Hi, I’m searching for a bhb preferably powder, but would consider pills that don’t have weird ingredients. Any one have any suggestions? Thank you!

Ketone supplements?
(557d8d487f0916419f53) #2

I’ve been searching amazon…there are so many out there and the price variation is huge.

Why do you want to use exogenous ketones instead of letting your body make them?

You might want to read this first:

[TL;DR They won’t help with weight loss, they are not proven safe long-term yet, they are a last resort for people with advanced mental conditions etc]

(557d8d487f0916419f53) #4

Just wanting a quick boost. I’m trying to lose 8-10 pounds by mid june for vacation. Heard it will help. Nit wanting to use long term?

I can’t see how it could help lose weight to add ketones. Ketones are a byproduct of using fat, not the cause of weight loss.

(Allie) #6

They won’t help with fat loss as they just add ketones to your blood stream artificially so you’ll get positive blood readings but your body won’t actually be doing what it needs to do to burn fat.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #7

But if someone were to be going for a low GKI and not necessarily wanting to burn body fat (while eating generous amounts of dietary fat) would it be good, bad, or neither to add them in? I’ve been adding in very small amounts, in the form of flavored MCT oil powder, to my coconut cream (to make it yummier).

(Ethan) #8

We don’t know the answer to this.

(Alec) #9

If you were going for a low GKI, you could get one by ingesting exogenous ketones, but it would be totally misleading. Ketones are a by product of fat burning in the liver. We need to burn fat to reduce bodyfat.

Having a low GKI after ingesting exogenous ketones would be very nice but would mean nothing.

(Ethan) #10

I don’t believe we have sufficient evidence to accept this statement as fact right now. We don’t know enough about gki and it’s therapeutic effects to state with reasonable certainty that the benefits are because of fat burning and not at all because of the presence of bhb in the blood stream.

(Alec) #11

I am intrigued… which statement exactly?

(Ethan) #12

This statement doesn’t have sufficient evidence. It’s currently not known which benefits come from being in ketosis (burning fat) and which come from having ketones (from any source).

(Alec) #13

I think we have clear evidence of the benefit of the process of creating ketones in the liver: it’s called ketosis. I think we don’t have evidence of any benefits derived from exogenous ketones. Hence I stand by my statement.

Ketones are insulingenic. Weakly insulingenic, but insulingenic none the less. If they weren’t insulingenic we’d all be slipping into ketoacidosis. Adding in exogenous ketones is just adding insulingenic calories. Ketones aren’t a one way street. They can be turned back into fat if insulin gets high enough. Unless you have a condition such as epilepsy or parkinsons that seems to be treated directly by ketones, and if weight loss is your main goal, exogenous ketones and MCT oil probably hurt more than they help.

(Ethan) #15

That isn’t how logic works. You are correct that there is evidence that ketosis is beneficial. There is also a potential evidence that having ketones themselves in the blood may be beneficial. Thus, it cannot be concluded that because there is no concrete study showing to benefit there are no benefits. In other words, a lack of evidence is not disproof, especially if the lack of evidence in for lack of looking.

(Alec) #16

That’s exactly how it works. There is evidence of benefit from ketones from your liver, and there is no evidence of benefit from exogenous ketones. Seems very clear to me. You review the current evidence available. I am not saying this is a “fact”. I am saying that on the basis of current evidence available, my statement is valid.

(Ethan) #17

No, it’s not. Perhaps I can rephrase. Lack of proof is not disproof. The classic method of disproof is proof by counterexample. In this case, you probably won’t ever find that. The next best thing is to suggest disproof with preponderance of lack of evidence in attempt to proof. We also don’t have that here. There have not been sufficient studies on benefits of blood ketone levels isolating ketosis vs. exogenous ketone ingestion to make the claim.

What we have is absence of evidence, which is not evidence of absence. The classic example of your logical mistake is something like, “Because there is no evidence of alien life, we can conclude there is no alien life.” That is not a disproof of alien life.

The question is beneficial to what? And are those the things the OP is wanting? I can see where artificiallly enhancing ketone levels on a temporary basis could help with appetite suppression via a reduction in the body’s need for higher glucose levels, if that’s what they mean by “boost”. Adding MCT oil of some kind would do the same for less money and provide a source of the correct isomer endogenously.

Are you talking about from a keto and cancer perspective? BTW, MCT supplements are not the same thing as exogenous keto salts. Some keto athletes use these as an energy source. Others for brain enhancement.

(Ethan) #20

Could be beneficial for cancer (don’t know), but more likely to be beneficial neurological system disorders, such as migraines and epilepsy.