BG higher

fasting
ketones

(Sarah) #1

I am re-starting Keto. Keep struggling the past few months but I’m focused now!!! I am 24 hours into a fast. Its midnight now… so I plan on breaking my fast at 8am with 32 hours. If I can- I will go 36 hours but honestly dont know if I can even sleep now because I am feeling the rumbles.

Anyways… I tested with my Keto Mojo at 4pm… 16 hours into my fast and my BG was 86. I tested just now so I approached 24 hrs and my BG was 111 and my ketones were at .2

All I have drank is unsweetened hot tea, black coffee and water. Why is my BG higher? Actually have never really had anything higher than a 102 before.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #2

This website may provide you with some information but my best guess would be gluconeogenesis. Your liver is converting some ketones into glucose to keep your system running effectively, especially if you have ingested very little carbs over the last few days.

“While the rest of the body’s cells are burning ketones for energy, your body will actually use amino acids, lactic acid, and glycerol to manufacture the necessary sugar for those cells. This process is called gluconeogenesis. Additionally, the body will store a small supply of glucose in the liver and muscles in the form of glycogen.”

https://drjockers.com/high-fasting-blood-sugar/

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Moreover, when you are fat-adapted, the muscles refuse the glucose produced from gluconeogenesis, so as to spare it for those organs (in particular, the red blood cells) that absolutely have to have it. This is a quite natural physiological response when we eat low-carb/keto, and is nothing to worry about.