Beta Hydroxybutarate as an antidepressant

(Jim Russell) #1

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-08055-1?WT.feed_name=subjects_immunology

We then evaluated the antidepressant-like effects of BHB using a CUS procedure similar to that used in our previous studies8, 24. The CUS paradigm is an animal model of depression with high face, construct, and predictive validity25,26,27. We confirmed that rats exposed to CUS exhibited depressive behavioral changes (Fig. 2b–f). These behavioral changes are considered to be evidence of despair, anhedonia, and anxiety in rodents28,29,30,31. Moreover, our results indicate that chronic BHB administration prevents the development of these CUS-induced behaviors, which is regarded as a characteristic feature of antidepressant drugs (Fig. 2b–f)32. Although there have been no previous reports indicating that BHB produces antidepressant-like effects, there is some evidence suggesting that a ketogenic diet – which elevates levels of BHB in the brain – may be associated with antidepressant effects.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #2

Intuitively, rather than scientifically, I’ve always believed that the low-fat craze was responsible for a lot of the depression that we’ve seen in the last several decades.

(Bacon, Not Stirred) #3

Depression and severe anxiety sufferer here. I’ve had several family members, as well as my live-in-boyfriend of eight years all make the same comment - since changing my WOE to ketogenic, my moods and behaviors have improved significantly. I’ve noticed it. Everyone has. Now, that’s not to say that I wasn’t previously on medication, because I was - and still am. However, we’ve all noticed a HUGE change. I wonder what would happen if I changed my children (who are both anxiety sufferers) to this WOE, as well.