Best way to cut a whole NY Strip or Ribeye or similar cut

(Bob Weiman) #1

So I was at Costco recently and noticed that they have ‘whole’ ribeyes for $2/lb cheaper. Any recommended resources for how to best cut it myself? Either pre or post cooking, as I’ve seen a few ‘reverse sear’ whole slab in the oven first. Historically, I’ve never been able to get consistent slice thicknesses from anything I’ve tried to cut.

(Ren) #2

You can cook it as a roast. Prime rib/Standing Rib roast is just the ‘whole’ (subprimal) ribeye.

I personally just portion out steaks to 1.5-2in thickness. vacuum seal and freeze. Then cook whenever I want steak.

I have bbq competition paper cutting board that has a printer ruler as well as grid with 2 inch squares that I will use when portioning out steaks. Before I got those cutting boards, I have use a tape measure, seamstress tape, and stainless steel ruler. I just place the measuring device off the edge of the cutting board. Hold the subprimals at the edge, mark the measurements w/ a quick slice and then bring back on the cutting board and slice all the way through.

Pro Tip - this is a lot easier if the meat is really cold, almost semi frozen, so the meat is semi stiff and doesn’t fold over on itself. I’ll normally stick the subprimal in the freezer for an hour before I portion it out. If it is too hard to slice through, i allow it to sit out and defrost a little till I can slice through it.

If you want to really get fancy. Buy UMAI dry age bags. Dry age for 30-60 days. Portion out to 2-3in steaks. Remove the dried rind, vacuum seal and cook when you want steak. I have used them in the past to do 45 day aged ribeye and NY strips.
https://www.drybagsteak.com/