Best value cooking knives!

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

If you need some new, razor freaking sharp knives, for a very good price, look no further !

I first bought the Mercer Cullinary 8" narrow blade fillet knife, and it was so sharp, it was scary to handle ! I mean litterally razor sharp ! I should have got the one with the sheath. Oh well.

Next, I got the 10" wide blade wavy edge bread knife… Again amazing sharp, and it just glides through our home baked keto bread without hardly creating a crumb. By far the best bread knife I’ve ever used.

Finally, I just had to buy a great 8" Chef’s knife. I had to get the green one because it’s my favorite color… And so I paid like $8 extra ! I know, crazy right. But I’m posting the blue one here, because I think most people would probably rather get the best price, than their favorite color :grinning: lol Again, this thing is just stupid sharp. I don’t know if I’ve ever owned a knife so sharp ? Certainly not straight out of the package.

It’s kind of dumb that all the reviews for this brand knife are lumped together even for different styles, but then again, all 3 of the styles I have bought from Mercer Cullinary are a perfect 5 star !

(David Jackson) #2

When you’re ready to graduate, Mercer renaissance is the best value knifes on the planet.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #3

Well I’m sure those are great knives too… But being twice the price, I’m not sure they could be twice as good as these that I’ve gotten…
They couldn’t be much, if any sharper. Maybe they would hold an edge a bit better ? But like I say, I’d have to use them side by side to see for myself :slightly_smiling_face:

I think the cheaper ones with the colored Santoprene handles are prettier :slightly_smiling_face: lol

Hey, do those come with a sheath ?
I know I can get sheaths and thinking about it, both for safety and to protect the knives…

(PSackmann) #4

Not bad, I lucked into a large lot of Chicago Cutlery knives in an auction a couple of years ago. They’re the knives my father used as a meat-cutter, take an edge well and just feel good in the hand.

(David Jackson) #5

As an honest to bacon chef, I can speak from experience. I bought these knives when I was in school. And when I lost them in a move across the globe, I didn’t hesitate to buy them again. And when an angry staff member stole them, you can bet your behind I replaced like for like. The ones you bought are fine. They’ll “do”. And I’ve bought some for the kitchen. The series I showed you are forged steel. The same quality as the wustoff and Henckels. The difference is noticeable. The ones you bought are stamped stainless. But a $13 knife is still a $13 knife. I’m not saying you bought crap, but a knife you can hand down to your grandkids for “twice the price” is more than a bargain. If you’re ever in the position to acquire a new set of knives, I’d highly recommend the Renaissance line.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #6

Yea… I “kind of” get this. But to me, sharpness is the most important thing, and price if course. And I just can’t imagine any of the expensive knives being much, if any sharper. Razor is razor.

I just really need to learn how to keep these things as sharp as they are ?

(David Jackson) #7

This is a true enough sentiment.

Remember, all razors COME razor sharp. After a single use, the cheap ones will show their value IMMEDIATELY.

After years of knife use, cooks all over the world have proven that stamped steel just doesn’t hold an edge as well as forged. Due to the nature of the steel, it won’t harden as well as forged steel and CANNOT stay as sharp as forged steel. Sure, the knife manufacturers put a great edge on their new knives. You should expect this. The value is in the keeping of the edge. The best thing you can do is learn knife maintenance.
Remember, these knives are priced cheaply for a reason.
For us who are battling it out in the kitchen, on a daily, the less time I spend honing, stropping or sharpening is considered money in the pocket.

Good luck with the new blades. I’ve used them. I keep them in my kart at Webstaurant just in case a knucklehead needs one.

(John) #8

Yes - geometry is what cuts. Steel is the material used to create the geometry. Some steels can take a thinner edge than others. Harder steels, for example, can take a nice thin edge and keep it for quite a while between sharpenings, if you have a good cutting surface and good knife skills.

If you know how to sharpen, have the right tools for the task, and don’t mind spending the time doing it, then sure, any old knife will do.

Like anything else, there is a point of diminishing returns. And you need to have your whole “system” in sync. That means the knives, the cutting surface, your skills and technique on the board, your sharpening tools, sharpening skills, and storage method.

I use some really nice knives, and some really cheap knives. But I am a pretty skilled sharpener. The cheap ones dull fast, but sharpen back up fast. The nice knives hold their edge a long time, and take a bit more time and effort to keep sharp.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #9

Geez, I wish I could learn your knife sharpening skills. I’ve read all kinds of tutorials, watched YouTube vids, etc… But have never been able to sharpen a knife as sharp as these I just bought… So I don’t know how I could possibly keep them this way :frowning:

(John) #10

You gotta practice. It takes a while to develop the skill, from just doing it, mindful observation of the results, modifying your technique, etc. There’s kind of a progression you go through over time.

Watching the videos is useful, as is reading tutorials and guides. I like to free-hand sharpen using stones. Some people prefer guided systems.

I can usually put a better edge on a knife than comes from the factory, or at least refine the factory edge further.

For a while I was into pocket-knife collecting as a hobby and as a side effect got into sharpening (which can also attain hobby status with some people).

But like most of the time now I just sharpen on an Arkansas stone and strop on a strip of leather loaded with green buffing compound.

When I do the expensive knives, I get out the series of Japanese water stones, the loupe, and the balsa strop loaded with 1 micron diamonds.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #11

I’m 55 yo, and have probably tried to sharpen knives about 500 X’s. Yet I can’t ever really remember thinking, wow ! That’s as sharp as a fresh razor… With any knife, ever.

And if you were standing right beside me trying to teach me, you would get immediately thrown off by how I was holding the knife, and using it, and you wouldn’t even know where to start showing me…

Long story short, I was born left handed, and forced to be right. Completely whacked out my hand eye control. Nobody does hand eye stuff like I do. Their is a right way, a wrong way, and my way :grinning:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #12

Ha :slightly_smiling_face: I’ve been hearing that about a million things my whole life… Then people see me “trying to practice” and they are like, WTH are you doing ? People say I look like a left hander trying to use my right hand… Which is exactly what’s going on…

BTW, you have probably heard of people who are ambidextrous ? Okay, well I’m non-dextrous :grinning: lol