Best news in a long time (eggs)

Egg Prices Plummet As Supplies Outpace Demand - Texas A&M Today (tamu.edu)

Not so in UK unfortunately…eggs are nearly double the price than a year ago.

That is… eggcellent.

(Allie) #4

If give you some of mine if I was closer.
You can see them in the background here, as I’m feeding the baby jackdaw I just took in… and this is after I’ve boxed up twelve to give away :flushed:

IMG_0438

Reading this as I am eating bacon and eggs… waiting for bacon prices to plummet. :slight_smile:

I know you would! You’re a good person- I love animals too.

That Jackdaw will never forget you btw.
My sister and I rescued an injured black headed gull at our local lakes when we were young; called the gull ‘Lucky.’

We nursed it back to health then it took off. But my sister and I were adamant that anytime we visted the lakes and a black headed cawed close; that was ‘Lucky.’

True story.

That happened here too and they won’t go down. BUT a miracle happened, the doubled dairy prices actually dropped, I never ever saw such a thing for normal items… They raised the prices without a good reason and there was some riot.

Eggs are still worth it. But I actually eat less now for other reasons and that’s good :slight_smile: (The right kind of) meat is more satiating for me. Our already tiny amount of garbage will drop, it was half eggshells this far…

Our egg lady raised her prices last week. But just a bit. We wouldn’t pay more anyway as we can get proper eggs from the village greengrocery… But it’s more convenient to get some from the egg lady. She sells rabbits too.

Buy local :+1:

(Allie) #9

I have a duck in at the moment who I call Penny, as in Lucky Penny :heart:

Saved her life on Monday now caring for her as she recovers. They do always remember yes. There was a tiny blue tit trapped in my office one time. Poor thing was stressed and overheated, panicking trying to get out. When it dropped down to floor level, I threw my hoodie over it and Carrie sit outside to freedom. Couple hours later when I was walking, blue tit swooped down in front of me and landed on a branch right in front me me and just stared for a few secs before flitting off again… that was a thank you no doubt :heart:

(Allie) #10

The price of feed has doubled, it’s hurting me too :pensive:

Lucky birds all around x.

Thank you.

She was complaining about it 1-2 years ago and wanted to stop keeping hens. Fortunately it didn’t happen :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #13

Anyone remember when eggs were under $2/dozen?

To me, they’re still expensive. People around here now want $6/dozen for eggs in their back yard. I still dream of getting chickens, but we have so many predators, I’d have to create a virtual fortress to keep them alive.

Another country but 57HUF/piece? Yes. It was 45 or something while normal eggs were 30 or what, I just remember WAY cheaper… At least now good eggs are even cheaper than supermarket eggs, it’s so weird… At least I think it’s so, I don’t look at egg prices often (and they are all over the place anyway) but sometimes see some…

Now it’s 75 HUF per piece. We have 10 piece cartons, not 12. That’s $2.6 per dozen for the best eggs I can buy. Normal sized (it’s called extra large on the Web), tasty…

I don’t have room for chickens and there are predators galore. But I am glad I can buy as many eggs as I just want and need for my pretty cheap diet. I just couldn’t eat much cheaper without huge problems.

I fought that fight for years. The racoons outsmarted me.

I bought a shotgun.

But that scared the crap outa the birds too…

Duck eggs are good too, as are goose eggs. Very, very rich and filling.

(Rossi Luo) #18

$5.39 for 12 eggs?

(Kirk Wolak) #19

Oh, capitalism…

Now, How many of you strongly considered getting a dehydrator to powder a ton of eggs while they are cheap, to smoothe over any future disruptions?

I was thinking about it… (Despite having an egg white allergy)… In fact, I thought about separating the whites/yolks to dehydrate them… Anyone with experience want to chime in?

I doubt anyone can blame capitalism or any other system.

I could tell you whom is to blame, but I’ll get banned. not again ffs.

:slight_smile: