Best Ketogenic Vegetables - In order of importance for you

vegetables

(VLC.MD) #21

I dont see Kale on the almost zero carb list.

Parsley too ? I just practically OD’d on Tabbouli Tabouli Tabbouleh (choose your spelling) last night.

(VLC.MD) #22

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=100

(VLC.MD) #23

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=50

(VLC.MD) #24

Hi there, I just saw this post and am happy to help and provide my own list based on your priorities…

the newbie will eat them / ie. palatability
in most fridges
lower the carbs or “insulin load” the better
people will know them (ie. WTH is beet greens, snap beans, chayote ?)
has nutrients (must have more nutrients as the carbs go up) .ie. good nutrient density per carb.
easy to prepare
All help appreciated.
Try to make the list in order of importance for you are your ketogenic success / what you perceive as successful for others. The idea might be … when you are going to eat carbs which veggies do you “Spend them” on ?

Im a Keto newbie and figuring out what i want to ‘spend’ my carbs on is a big deal for me right now.

Top Veg in my Regular WOE: (using your list, and deleting the veggies i dont eat, as instructed)

Favourite Veg of All Time: Sugar Snap Peas! Not on your list, or are they there under a different name? I eat these straight out of the packet as snack food. High sugar :frowning_face:

From your list:

1. Spinach 4 (fresh in salads, or sautéed in butter, or frozen and thrown in smoothies)
  2. Zucchini 2
  3. Red/green/yellow peppers 3 (sliced up in strips as a snack between meals, or baked with delicious things stuffed inside. Usually involving spinach and cheeses)
  4. Broccoli 5
  5. Carrots 5 (frozen to throw in smoothies)
  6. Kale 5 (frozen to throw in smoothies smoothies)
  7. Cauliflower 4 (have a soft spot for the comfort food of Cauliflower Cheese :heart: )
  8. Cucumber 1 (handy to throw in smoothies)

NB My veg consumption was pretty pragmatic - i tried to get as many of my 5 fruit-n-veg a day into a morning smoothie! Now ive started Keto, most of the fruit I used is a no go (and it was really eye opening to observe how id been drawn to very high carb fruit!).
I am going to try a week of keto-friendly morning smoothies. I think it might be one of the handiest ways to ensure im maximising the range nd volume of nutrients im getting per day within my carb rations.

Usually mean to eat more of/eat less frequently but like:
cabbage 4
bamboo shoots 5
celery 3
radishes 2
Pickles 1
Bamboo shoots 2
asparagus 3

Hope this helps in any way. (Are you researching for something? Like a book!?)

Warmest wishes and thanks for this informative post!

(Brian) #26

Something I find interesting…

I have not generally eaten carrots since starting the keto WOE, except on special occasions.

It appears that they’re not really as bad as, say, sweet or white potatoes, and might be OK to eat in smaller quantities.

I don’t want to eat them every day nor do I want to sit down and eat a whole bunch of 'em at one time. But on occasion, they might be a tasty side dish, especially when dripping with browned butter. :slight_smile:

(Consensus is Politics) #27

I believe (having a Korean wife that makes kimchi regularly) that it’s the same thing as Napa cabbage. It’s an elongated looking cabbage. image

Chinese cabbage… “Don’t be afraid Tommy, it’s not a Pod.”

I thought Chinese cabbage was bok choy (aka pok choy). Learned something new. Thanks! (Brain isn’t working because I’m busy digesting a mess of truly awesome collards I made for NYD.)

(Consensus is Politics) #29

Bok Choi is closer to Brussels sprouts. It’s a smallish thing with a head, and longish leaves in one direction. Delicious too.

I did a google search and found many varieties. This is the only one I’m familiar with.

Some of the references state that it is indeed a type of Chinese cabbage. I thought them to be more leek like.

(Momo) #30

I would disagree here. At 15, a glass of milk a day will not be as detrimental, as say, a 40 y/o with 75lb to lose.