Best Baconnaise recipe technique?

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #13

Yeah. That’s what I would expect, anyway. Good point about the re-emulsification. Hollandaise isn’t typically bottled for later!

(Genevieve Biggs) #14

I love my baconaise, but I made a lard mayo and did not like it. It was also my piggier lard, haven’t tried with my better batch yet. It just tastes like straight lard, and it was not enjoyable. Probably also used too much vinegar. That doesn’t help. But neither is spreadable, unless I want to store it on the counter, yet I don’t eat enough mayo to go through it before it goes bad. I’ve considered trying a bacon grease/ghee mix and storing that room temp.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #15

Weird. Isn’t bacon grease lard? What exactly did you use that you didn’t like?

I have some jars of lard from Fatworks, but I rarely get to them because my own yield from cooking is hard to keep up with. I find both fairly tasteless.

(Genevieve Biggs) #16

I have grease from cooking bacon, and I have lard from home rendering pig fat. The former has a fried bacon flavor, the latter is either somewhat plain or piggy, depending on how well you render it. I didn’t know what I was doing with the first batch and it came out piggy, the second batch came out plain. Plain lard has a nice clear, white color. My bacon grease is brownish.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #17

I see. Interesting. I always do my bacon in the oven these days, and it comes out clear, turning white as it cools, and very mild tasting. Here’s a photo of some I have in the fridge.

I have also gotten some in the past from roasting ribs, and I don’t remember it being distinguishable in my case.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #18

I cook my bacon in butter, so all of my bacon fat drippings are really a mixture of butter and bacon fat. And yes, bacon butter is delicious!

As far as using the rendered fat - it never ends up the same texture of mayo without a lighter oil. However! it makes for a great spread. Outside of what other spices I may add, the best part is really the vinegar and lime/lemon juice.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #19

Also, the spread melts and separates if put on something hot or if it gets too warm. And then it’s an oily mess. I’ve also accidently made a really thick dressing because the mayo never set, and I kept adding eggs and blending…:eyes: LOL Well, the dressing, which I used for dipping and salads at the time was well enjoyed just the same.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #20

I’ve done that, too. Yup. :slight_smile:

(Genevieve Biggs) #21

That makes sense. Then I guess they would be the same thing in your case.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #22

Okie dokie @amber, I came home determined to take one for the team and attempt a baconnaise without a lighter plant derived oil mixed in. I used only yolks instead of whole eggs, and the best I could do was a lovely sauce (quite), still in the thick side, and I’m sure if left in the fridge overnight, it would be even thicker. But I really wanted mayo, soooo… :disappointed: I mixed a plant derived oil in to get it. But I tell you what - it’s the best baconnaise I’ve ever made thus far! I didn’t warm up the bacon grease, it was still pourable because it had been sitting on the kitchen counter (and has some butter mixed in). I think that made a difference for mixing it. I had been warming it and letting it cool but not to the point of being thick and whitish. This has a nice bold bacon taste that I’m loving!

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #23

Haha. Fair enough. Thank you for the experiment!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #24

:grin: you’re welcome!

Hey, @amber.

I tinkered with a recipe today, and made a “whipped bacon grease crema”, which tastes like baconnaise and has the texture of mayo. No vegetable or nut oil needed…100% animal fat. Here is the link to the recipe.

(Arlene) #26

How do you make homemade fermented mustard?

(Julie Anderson) #27

This is the recipe I use: Mustard Recipe I get best results when I grind the mustard seeds a coffee grinder first (I have one just for spices). I also reduce the water to 3/4 cup.

Julie

(Arlene) #28

Thanks Julie, I’m excited to try it.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #29

OK. Since this post, I started playing around, and it finally occurred to me that Hollandaise is the animal fat analogue of mayonnaise.

Hollandaise is exactly designed to cope with the fact that butter is solid at room temperature. I have been making “Hollandaise” with a variety of animal fats: butter, lard, and tallow, or blends of those.

My recipe is simply to put 4-6 room temperature yolks in a tall narrow container (the one that came with my immersion blender). I put the container in a bowl of boiling water. I blend the yolks until they’ve increased a lot in volume, and then I stream in the melted butter/tallow/lard/bacon-drippings. I have tried adding a bit of lemon juice or salt, but I find it’s not necessary.

The result is creamy deliciousness. I don’t know how I managed without it all this time. :wink:

It gets quite thick on refrigeration.

What did you Keto today?
(Arlene) #30

ooh, I’m excited to try this. Thanks for the recipe.

(Genevieve Biggs) #31

Is it still creamy after refrigerated? Or solid? And you add how much animal fat?

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #32

More solid, but still spreadable.