Benefits of milk (or not)

I found this lecture/talk from Dr. Tommy Ragnar Wood, from a health conference in Reykjavik, Iceland, in 2015. I found his talk interesting and educating on what it is in milk we can react to and why. He also explains quite well how different studies are done and why they are reliable or not.
Dr. Wood’s talk
He is also a ketopian (witch is why I found this talk in the first place), and has a talk on “Keto Summit” witch is re-launching now.

(jilliangordona) #2

I have many friends who were raised on dairy farms and work in the industry. Many of them vigorously promote the health benefits of milk, and while I have my fair share of dairy… I struggle not to contradict their views.

He points out towards the end of the talk (during Q&A) That there is difference in pastured and un-pastured milk. Milk straight from the cow and from the store are two different things. Also there is difference in what the cow is fed and how healthy or not the milk is. Moreover there is difference from one country (and cow race) to another.

(KB Keto) #4

I eat a lot of dairy - cream, cheese, cream cheese and so forth… but not so much milk.

Although, as a kid, I grew up drinking a lot of the 2% variety. a lot. I would get yelled at by my parents because I’d have 4 glasses of milk and then be too full to eat all my food.

(jilliangordona) #5

I drank tons of milk as well. Before keto, my boyfriend would pick on me for wanting milk with my dinner…

(Duncan Kerridge) #6

I used to drink a ton of milk, sometimes 2 litres a day. That’ll be 20 teaspoons of sugar then. And I thought it was the fat in milk making me fat.

I do believe that when we crave something ti might also be nutrients in that food we are wanting. Milk has a lot of good vitamins and minerals. I also had huge cravings for milk and chocolate, until I started supplementing with proper magnesium. Now I couldn’t care less. Butter however… mmmmm :stuck_out_tongue:

I grew up on a a dairy farm too, and thus spent most of my life drinking raw milk.

I definitely agree with all of this.
BUT I think it should be pointed out that my entire family was encouraged to drink all the raw milk we wanted and while we have strong homes and are cavitity free, the sugar in the milk took its toll. We are all very large and have massive sweet tooths.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #10

My opinion is that for folks who are not already metabolically deranged, full-fat milk in moderation, provided no dairy allergies exist, is probably not a problem.

Where possible (budget, etc.), opting for local and/or grass-fed milk has potential benefits in terms of the balance of fatty acids (omega-3 vs. omega-6 FA), but the real bad news is low-fat or skim, which takes away the main component that is potentially beneficial, while leaving the sugar.

For those of us who need to keep carbs low, milk is not a great option, since a single glass represents more than half of the recommended limit of 20g of carbs.

On the plus side, use the milk to make homemade yogurt, and you can let the probiotic bacteria eat the sugar, and you get the yummy yogurt. :slight_smile:

That’s more or less what Dr. Wood talked about (plus all he science). Did you watch the video @devhammer and @Joanna_Osterloh ?
Also we are not all genetically the same in regards to how well we can utilize milk.

@Siddy I have not, but I intend to when I get home from work tonight.

Hope you enjoy it :slight_smile:
I’m watching another great lecture by the same guy now. He is talking about health and well being, and it’s very warm and entertaining. You can find it here