Ben Bikman - reduce dietary salt too much and insulin rises

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

I don’t have an explanation, but here are some thoughts: firstly, these long-term carnivores took quite some time to get where they are; they didn’t cut out salt overnight. Secondly, they are eating a lot more meat on carnivore than they would on keto, and may be getting more salt that way.

Thirdly, no one, to my knowledge, has studied people who’ve been on a ketogenic diet for as long as some of those long-term carnivores. It is not outside the realm of possibility that a long-term ketonian might also gradually come to need less added salt.

Lastly, I suppose we also can’t a priori rule out the possibility that the people who persist in a carnivore diet over the long haul are those whose bodies handle salt in a freakish manner.

The short answer: More research needs to be done on this.

Yes,

I still do altenernative days supplementing.

A happy medium, if you will.

(Robin) #25

I have 1 year keto then one year carnivore. Needed extra salt on both. Otherwise, nightly muscle cramps.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

As the Dudes’ second dogma runs: "Find out what works for you." (And stick with it. Not to mention that it might also change over time.)

(Bob M) #27

When Brian Sanders (Peak Human podcast) went to Africa, he remarked that the Hazda (who eat mainly meat, though do eat some tubers and the like) did not use salt or water, even while hunting for hours. I saw Expedition Unknown, who visited the Hazda, and one of their people had to stop and go back to camp while being out with the Hazda on a hunt. Again, the crew all had water, but the Hazda did not use water or salt, at least while hunting.