Beginner Here...Help

(Maria) #1

Any advice for beginner? I’m 55, and overweight (50 lbs). I need to start doing something.

I hear weight training is key, but I’ve never worked with weights. Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

(Allie) #2

(Casey Crisler) #3

Walk. They say 30 minutes a day at least, 5 days a week. IMHO, I would take it slow at first if you’re new to excercising regularly. I started walking the first few weeks and now I’m hiking up the mountain (just over 2 months in, 52 years old). I’m looking at doing some light weight training just to tighten up the loose skin.

With the excess energy you’ll gain with keto, you’ll be hard-pressed NOT to want to do something active.

(Maria) #4

Thank you for replies…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Exercise will make you feel better, by increasing your metabolic rate and helping your insulin resistance, but as a weight-loss tool, it is useless. Do it, by all means, if you enjoy it, but don’t expect to lose weight from exercising. The primary weight-loss tool that works for most obese people is a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet, because it allows you to get the calories you need without stimulating the production of insulin, the fat-storing hormone.

Just like the others say walk.Its good activity .More walk is better walk.But my advice is to do some form of bridge.Without that back pain will be inevitable.

(Ron) #7

(Cindy) #8

Hi Maria, I couldn’t figure out where to start either, or where to find the time to exercise. So I got an old exercise bike, put it in my living room where I see it all the time, then started riding it for 15 minutes per day only. Each week I increased by 5 minutes, which felt super easy. Once I reached 1 hour per day, I started making the pedaling a little bit harder every few months. So now I’m (finally!) doing an hour of hard riding every day. BUT the thing that made it really fun for me was to let myself read super escapist, fun, junky books, but ONLY on the bike. So now each day I look forward to my riding time because I get to read a fun book. I never let myself continue reading after my ride is done, and force myself to save the book for the next day’s ride. It really works. My exercise is now the most fun part of my day, and not a burden at all. I am so engrossed in my book that I don’t even notice the hard parts of the bike ride.

Once you start losing weight, you can pick up the intensity of your workout to speed things along. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) AKA running/swimming/biking sprints is very effective. Around 10 sets at full speed until exhaustion with rest in between. Jogging slowly for an hour works but it is tedious and time consuming. Jumping rope and calisthenics are great too.
Weightlifting is the best exercise IMO: Deadlift, Squat, Bench Press, Rows in particular with a barbell. Stronglifts 5x5 is a popular beginner program.

(Allie) #10

I love my rebounder. Just bounce and bounce as I listen to a podcast or watch a movie.

I lost some 230 pounds and I can’t exercise except for strolls and some movement with hand weights, occasionally. It’s the Keto, not the energy in, energy out thing.