Been on Keto for over a month now. Why am I still so stinking tired?

(Joy Cho) #82

Hello, Heidi!!!
Iron deficiency is very possible especially since keto is trying to repair my hormones. Since February, my cycles have been extremely heavy leaving me even weaker than before. I’ll discuss this possibility with my doctor when I meet with her.
Thank you very much!
Joy : )

(Heidi ) #83

Hello Joy!!! LolI’ll be really interested to know if I’m right. What you’re telling me sure points to it. Let’s hope that’s it. Easy fix Heidi

(Cody) #84

Hey thanks for the info, I’m experiencing the same tiredness about how long does this Keto flu thing last?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #85

Depends on the individual. A few days, to a week, in general.

(Lindsey) #86

How long did it take for you to stop feeling tired?

(Donna Quinlan) #87

Congratulations on your success ! :clap::tada:

(Candy Lind) #88

OK, I’m curious, @ketana, what you take (brand? caps or tabs?) and how many daily, because I am struggling with electrolyte balance as well as water intake. I’m taking not only a magnesium supplement but also Hammer Endurolytes, and going heavy on Morton Lite Salt on everything. I don’t think I have a potassium deficiency, but I would say I probably still need to work on Magnesium. Has anyone else calculated that they should be drinking 170 ounces of water per day? (I currently weigh 250) And if so, how the heck do you manage it and still eat enough? I feel like if I drink enough, the food quite simply won’t fit. However, I ALSO know that if I don’t at least get close to that amount, I feel like :poop:. Night-time leg cramps are a bitch. What a balancing act! :flushed::thinking:

Hey this is really interesting! Could you elaborate a bit? or point in the direction of trusted info on the topic?

I’d love to hear more about the reasons for these changes. I might try them too!

I’ve been trying to find literature on the relationship between fat adaption and… ‘lean-ness!’ Logically, it might be easier for a body to slip in and out of fat adaption if there is never much excess fat on it, and that might be an important factor to consider in a long term Keto approach for naturally lean bodies. However I don’t know if that’s been observed in any studies. I can’t find them, if it has! Do you or others have any insights that could help me? I want to make sure I do Keto sensibly :slight_smile:

I dont have much extra fat and am doing Keto for other health reasons. Im starting to wonder if there are other, additional strategies that people in this situation should keep in mind to insure even levels of energy/insulin and so on.

Looking forward to hearing what you say about it!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #90

According to Dr. Phinney, the key is to avoid stimulating insulin production by avoiding carbohydrate, and to replace all those calories we’re not getting from carbs anymore by eating fat to satiety. If we eat fat to satiety, we can be sure of getting enough calories but not too many.

I know that sounds ridiculously simple, but any one who wants to, can certainly make it more complicated.

(Michael ) #91

If you’re losing weight you can’t spare, you can always increase protein. Protein will cause sufficient insulin rise to store fat. I must say that you will struggle to find too much information on this here as most people are looking for the exact opposite effect so they keep protein on the lower side and incorporate intermittent fasting to keep insulin low. I don’t think it’s hard to keep weight maintenance if desired. You might have to eat a lot of bacon wrapped, butter drenched steaks…not a terrible problem to have

(Kel Ta) #92

Sorry Candy, I rarely visit here anymore so I am just getting this- Mangesium and Pottassium and salt all need to be in balance and the body does that well on its own but if you don’t provide it to the body in the first place then it will be difficult- people tend to struggle with getting enough Magnesium… this is the brand I use:
https://www.amazon.com/Country-Life-potassium-aspartate-180-Count/dp/B000168HV2/ref=sr_1_sc_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515147459&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=magnesium+pottassium+aspartate

Now as I follow IF and I’m close to ZC Keto I don’t need to take as much but when I was LCHF in the beginning I took the recommended amount on the bottle at night before sleep. This will make you sleepy so best at night.
I fill up a water bottle with the Mayo clinic recommended daily amount and drink it regularly throughout the day. I don’t drink a ton during meals as I try to spread it out over the day a cup at a time.

(Candy Lind) #93

Thanks for your reply! So you actually mix the contents of the MG/K caps into your water? I hadn’t thought of doing that, but it makes a lot of sense. :blush:

(Kel Ta) #94

They are a vitamin supplement and require no mixing, they already have the right ratio of Mag to Pott, just take with water

(Kel Ta) #95

I was talking about drinking enough water- if I fill up a bottle at the beginning of the day with the amount I want to drink that day- I slowly work through it 1 cup at a time

(Elizabeth ) #96

I’m 61 postmenopausal and take thyroid it took me a full 6 months to get fat adapted this time I had done Atkins on and off for 40 years and never had this issue but I just powered through it and I still will have days when I get tired I find a very salty cup of broth picks me up within about 30 minutes

Hello, my suggestion would be to get your blood work done to check your B12, potassium, magnesium levels and just an overall review. I get leg cramps occasionally and know to increase my potassium intake and / or magnesium. I am fortunate enough to have a doctor who is very open minded and supportive about my overall health , which is important on this journey for me.
You may not be eating enough either, maybe double check your calories, and there is a possibility your macros need to be revisited.
Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

(Kel Ta) #98

The blood plasma levels of electrolyte are very well maintained and may not reflect the tissue levels which at this point are impossible to assess and therefore you may still be operating under deficiency even though your blood tests look normal.

(Tina Hunter Pierce) #99

I’ve been on keto since Feb. Down 27lbs and havr to force myself to eat so love not having insukin uos anf downs but havr nevervreally uad much energy and am extremely constipated and havr leg cramps. I stayed off in Jan on Atkins and I couldn’t have that many vegetables but how many can in have on keto.? Started tak8ng magnesium citrate vitamins 2 days ago still can’t go…ive never been constipated in my life.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #100

Try increasing your salt intake. Constipation is a symptom of low sodium.

(Tina Hunter Pierce) #101

Thank u Paul, I’ll try not sure how much more salt I can use/take