Been Keto for 2+ years - starting to gain weight!

long-term

(Carolus Holman) #1

Hey everyone, I have been KETO for 2 years, I plateaued about a year ago, and though it was just one of those things, never really worried about it. Now I have noticed that I have been starting to gain some weight, especially around the waist, I am fairly strict on my KETO and not cheating. For you long term KETO folks I am wondering a good approach for resetting, or re-energizing to get back on track.
I have been eating nuts, Pecans, Macadamias, however I think I may have been eating too much. Does anyone have a good way to reset, or re-invigorate the process? I have not used any KETO strips for over a year, because they stopped working due to being in Ketosis for quite a while. My blood sugar after eating has been in the 80’sand 90’s. Thanks!

(Bunny) #2

Hi Carolus long time no see :eyes:?

Yes! If you add resistant starch (will help you stop gaining) to your diet and up your carbohydrate intake to 100 grams.

If you don’t believe me try it, that is why your gaining on the ketogenic diet and not losing like you did when you first started (20 grams)?

Your body is now too adapted to the lower carb threshold! You need more carbohydrates and fats to maintain!

This is a nice example:

for heavens sake don’t add carbs back…you will get even fatter very fast

somewhat strict keto…not cheating BUT we all know we get lax. We all do it.

tighten everything back up.

ditch the nuts, you said you are enjoying more than normal.

what else is ‘somewhat strict’ keto that you are adding and not truly accepting? in that we all take a bite of this or that, can those bites be getting bigger and bigger LOL I sure get that.

I would not panic in any way. I would face the truth on how I am eating, what changed from before, just slowly take a good long look at how you ARE truly eating and adjust it back to how you started.

everyone wanders. that is when we tighten back up. In full truth.

you could do a beef/butter type plan for a day. An egg fast type thing but I wouldn’t. You aren’t in jeopardy at this point at all…….I think the thing one must truly do is get back to tighter control of what you are allowing back in cause you succeeded before and now something has changed. Your eating I am sure :slight_smile:

I think you will be fine. Your gain tells me your body is saying, hey what are we truly eating here and now it is time for tighter control and back to basics.

back to basics of what helped you before is never a bad thing…then give it good time to help you. Let it all reset back to ‘back to basics’ eating that you did before.

(bulkbiker) #4

Does “Dr” Berg have a special deal on resistant starch this week?

But to @Carolus_Holman definitely try nut reduction (ideally to zero) they are notoriously hard to limit and unless you are weighing out individual portions easy to over consume.

(Bunny) #5

Wouldn’t know never seen or recall a video or product by Dr. Berg that has anything to do with resistant starch?

You could use some in your diet? I do worry about your meat consumption with-out the resistant starch!

(Carolus Holman) #6

I used be be very careful when going out with Coworkers, I am sure some Carbs have slipped through, I typically do OMAD, but I suppose picking the cheese off a pizza, and ordering wings at a restaurant that I am not sure (buffalo sauce only) are 100% sugar free, can add up, but those are a 1X per week at most. I do think the nuts are my main culprit, I am going to cut those pesky demons out. I also have been drinking coffee with full-cream, gong to cut back to black. I will be tightening up the regimen and see what happens. Not sure about resistant starches, it seems fairly complex and I am sure I will not do it correctly! I need a simple plan.I probably need to increase my fats, I tend to eat the food available, and I think they lack the fat I need sometimes. Perhaps Bacon and Eggs for a few days! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the input, back to the basics!

back to basics is a smart move in that we usually start out by cooking our own foods. we don’t do restaurants as much cause heck we all know who knows what is hidden in it? and we all know what is hidden can be horrifying when we research that :slight_smile:

You go back to basics. Cook for yourself. Eat the good meats and fats that we tend to give to other foods that don’t hold that same good content when we first started.

I believe we all need a back to basics ‘re-set’ at some point cause all of us wander a bit…it is natural…but thing is when we see the weight creeping back on we take action to shore it all back up again.

I so get that. It works that way for me. It’s a personal opinion that I think is very important and applies to a lot of us~

bacon and eggs sure never hurt me HAHA
I think a lot of us wander and when we do see symptoms of it we must go back and do what we did before and eat like we did and we ALL know that when you read about maintainers doing this for a very long time, keeping their health and weight loss success etc…they never wander far from their original eating plan. So that advice from been there done that success stories is a key factor for me to always remember.

this is a fun chat and it will be wonderful to hear how you succeed!!

(bulkbiker) #8

No thanks… completely unnecessary.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

My experience has been I have a total daily caloric window within which I maintain weight. If I eat up to a couple hundred calories more/less for a few days I gain/lose weight. Aside from a few tests, I’ve stayed within my ‘window’ for more than a year and a half and my weight has not varied by more than a couple pounds.

Challenge that and track everything you eat for a week or two…

(April Harkness) #11

one answer- CARNIVORE!!!

(less is more, more or less) #12

I’m with @OgreZed. I’m 2.5+ years in, and I had let bad habits sneak in. I follow Dr. Westman’s Page Four, and I did indeed wander (ever so slightly, yet just enough) off the ranch. I cut the carbs, like the nuts you listed, they’re rascally little buggers, and voila, and all is well again.

Also don’t count net carbs, count total.

(Carolus Holman) #13

Good advice. I haven’t tracked at all, since I started. I really think it is the nuts. That is where I have been giving in too much. I will start to track my foods- @OgreZed all good ideas. Here is a tip I learned the hard-way, size 34 jeans fit differently than size 34 dress pants :slight_smile: I will report back in a few let y’all know how its going. Thanks for the support and help!

Agree with Screenack. Count total carbs…never net them out. Sound advice.

@atomicspacebunny Is there a carb equivalency for resistant starch? The Finney graph suggests about 60g of total carbohydrates up from 30g, so a doubling from induction to maintenance for a 140lb human female at maintenance. That has to be adjusted for n=1 and carbs for a larger male in maintenance may come close to 100g/d . But it isn’t presented in terms of the glycemic index of the carbohydrates eaten. Or does that matter? Is 100g of resistant carbs equivalent to 100g of total carbs, I can’t imagine that they are the same in metabolic response (or consequences).

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #16

resistant starch is obesigenic, just like any other starch.

according to well-known crazy-woman “the woo”, taking vinegar to sterilise the microbiome is antiobesigenic. take that for what it’s worth

more info on resistant starch being obesigenic: http://itsthewooo.blogspot.com/2015/03/reminder-resistant-starch-induces-gi.html

A common consensus statement from keto podcasters for long-term adjustments is to spend some time dairy free. So 30 days off the cheese, butter and cream. In that time monitor your biomarkers, such as waistline tape measurement.

Quite the trend at the moment is to move to a carnivore diet. It’s worth considering as you ask about a re-boot. Abdominal waistline thickening or expansion can be an indicator of the visceral fat responding to challenges. In the past year there has been some hypothesis that the omental fat surrounding the large intestine is acting as an inflammatory tissue. It lines up with theories of obesity being an inflammatory disease. Researchers have biopsied visceral fat (omental fat, or fat around other organs) and found that the cellular content of the fatty tissue can be a large proportion of macrophages, which are immune cells involved in later stages of inflammation. In theory nuts can cause immune reactivities in the intestines and that can cause inflammation of the omentum. A carnivore diet trial reduces exposure to a lot of the inflammatory plant and dairy proteins and could reduce visceral fat mass by reducing inflammatory swelling.

Crikey, I did drone on there. Apologies. It’s just some newer information (to me) so I got a but excited.

The other area to tighten up is time restricted eating windows that tend to widen. But you say you are doing One Meal A Day. So may not apply.

But the general advice from the others is all good stuff. It does spin around the central core of reinvigorating a curiosity about one’s sustainable health. Coming back to the forums to check-in and get inspired was a good move.

(Consensus is Politics) #18

Where is my Nucweear-Astrow-Wabbit, and what have you done with her!

It has been a while since seeing you on here my dear. At least its been a while since I have been keeping up. The Wabbit I know would have included much science behind such a statement. Yet a simple graph? Hrm… something doesnt seem right here.

Bunny, you feeling ok?

('Jackie P') #19

This was me. Then I read a feature by Megan Ramos about how OMAD is not fasting and ends up as a calorie restricting diet, with all it’s associated problems.
I am so sorry I have tried to link it but it is not having it! A google search of IDM Megan Ramos OMAD found the article.
I have lost more weight with a mixture of OMAD and TMAD, upping my calories from fat and correcting any ‘carb creep’.
Good luck. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Allie) #20

Yep, this. OMAD is not good long term. Here and there, yeah OK, I do that too, but as the norm on a long term basis, down goes the metabolism.

Lose the nuts, switch to 2MAD and very gradually increase calories again to reignite your metabolism.