Beef liver, onions, and mushrooms

I posted this on the “What Did You Eat Today” thread, but thought it’d be better to post the recipe here, and not there. So, here’s what I did (pics at the end of this post).

Enjoy!

• beef liver (1lb) - in this case, pastured (only $6.50/lb)
  • 1/2 small onion
  • small package baby crimini mushrooms
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • Kerrygold butter to taste
  • heavy whipping cream
  • salt & pepper
  • lemon and cilantro for finishing

Prep: rinse and cut liver into bite size pieces.
Soak in heavy whipping cream for 2 hours.
Drain (but do not rinse again)

1. sauteed onions and mushrooms in avocado oil to about 90% done (not too long - 5-7 minutes)
  2. remove onions and mushrooms and set aside
  3. saute garlic in Kerrygold on medium-high heat - 2-3 minutes, just before butter browns
  4. add liver pieces and stir constantly for about 3-4 minutes.
  5. add back in cooked onions/mushrooms and stir fry for another 2-3 minutes.
  6. check largest piece of liver for underdoneness (very slightly underdone is OK for this biggest piece) (AVOID OVERCOOKING!)
  7. add 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream and saute/scrape the bottom of the goodness
  8. add salt and pepper to taste
  9. remove from heat, scoop everything equally into bowls
  10. squeeze a little lemon juice to taste over the top
  11. add Yai’s Thai Chili sauce (if desired) and mix well.

This came out great. Liver was meltingly tender and not bitter at all (soaking in HWC was key). Very hearty and rich as the HWC soaked all that umami goodness up. Had an almost filet mignon feeling/taste to it.

Sauteeing:

After adding HWC:

Finished product:

Beef liver in Instant Pot - question on cream
What did you Keto today?
(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #2

This looks moist and tender, not the leather textured liver and onions from my childhood. I just may try it instead of hiding liver in ground meat dishes :blush::grinning::joy:

Because I’m not your Mom, @Becky, I don’t have to lie about how good this was. Ha! Seriously, I’ve made some duds recently (coconut milk and kelp noodles in the Instant Pot…er…no thank you). :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue: However, this was tender and light. I don’t think it was because it was pastured. I think it was the 2 hours in the HWC and not overcooking. Highly recommend. I think the second half will taste even better tomorrow.

(3351e4c40bcf149b233c) #4

Thanks for the post! I just bought liver because I’ve been craving it, but I didn’t have a clue how I was going to cook it. I usually just go out when I want it but I’m sure Lizard’s Thicket’s method it not Ketogenic.

(Adrienne Hammond) #5

Omg! I bought beef liver today and wasn’t sure what to do because it is so high in protein. This was delicious! Absolutely delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

(Bunny) #6

That was my grandmother standing over the stove frying the hell out of it with a fork and butter! …lol :rofl: