Becoming a keto guru?

(Ari the Wolf) #1

So, I don’t generally get out a lot. The places I do go to with any frequency, people remember me pretty well. I’m a girl, I have tattoos, opinions, and maybe sometimes a little attitude. I joke around, make people laugh with reasonable frequency, I’m an artist, and I’m at least fairly intelligent.

So when I drop 70lbs, from a size 18 or 20 down to a size 8, they noticed. Many people who remember me ask me what I did, and I explain. Many comment, “Oh, I could never give up _____!” Most realize they could when they think about it, after I point out that ____ is really just a vehicle for flavorful sauce, tasty meat or cheese or whatever.

In February, when I walked into the same gym I used to go to, the owner remembered me immediately. And was completely flabbergasted. When I tell her I’d lost all the weight basically sitting on my butt doing nothing much different, that it was strictly from diet alone, she was impressed. When I then, over three months, proceeded to improve every week at some lift or other, she was more impressed. She even referred to me this week as the ‘disappearing woman’, because in just three months I’ve lost another inch or so off my waist and improved my muscle tone all over. Fairly dramatically, considering I only go in her gym once a week.

I’m already coaching a couple of friends through how keto works, and various stumbling blocks involved, so that’s hardly news. What stunned me though, was Wednesday at the gym, the OWNER and primary trainer in the gym referred her husband to me with keto related questions. He asked a few things, I explained and suggested ways to tweak his routine and diet, and he listened with complete seriousness. They know I don’t have any fancy degrees or certifications, although that is a goal of mine, but being treated as the voice of experience by people who teach others to get healthy and fit… I’m still a little stunned, because that was entirely unexpected for me.

I can’t go to my regular grocery stores without getting asked about it now. I feel a little preachy at times, because it seems like every other day, I’m explaining this to someone. What are you all’s experiences with ‘spreading the word’? Anyone else teach their doctor, trainer, or some other ‘professional’ involved with health and fitness what they’re doing and how? (And yeah, I know Carl and Richard have, we’ve heard about that on the podcast, guys!)

(bulkbiker) #2

The name keto superstar springs to mind…

(Arlene) #3

Long-term results will continue to validate what you are doing. You are very fortunate to attend a gym with such humble owners. So refreshing to hear of people actually willing to listen, and maybe even recommend a better way to their customers.
Your results are amazing. I am thrilled that people are asking you for your story. What a wonderful opportunity you have to help a few more people jump on the KETO healthy life train. You are making a huge impact. Congratulations!

(John) #4

The results always speak for themselves, my wife goes to a really good trainer but she just added muscle which means adding weight because her diet was crap. 2 years of it and really nothing, then when I lost a lot she got on board and really shrank down, he says he wished he could take credit for it and is now reading up himself with his wife who is a T1D with PCOS.

EVERY ONE of the people I have helped switch over say that bs line “Oh, I could never give up x” and a month in they say they could care less. It is the addiction talking. People seem to not think that food could be an addiction, I said if you smoked or drank and knew you needed to stop but you couldn’t, you would see that as addiction. Just because it’s donuts doesn’t make it any less of an addiction.

A friend of mine just started, she was in pretty damn bad shape and every time I do have what Carl and Richard mention in that I worry that this time it won’t work like it’s supposed to. It always has worked, but I know some people out there it won’t work for, I don’t want that for people.

(Jacquelyn Graham) #5

Same here, I get asked so much “how?” (size 22 to a 10 now) that my kids tell me I’m all “vegan-cross fit” about Keto. :joy: Still, many people at work who badly needed this way of eating are now Keto and I had two more ask me at another work gathering yesterday. It’s wonderful to be able to add some concrete hope to a person’s day; be living, walking proof that Keto works and is healthy. Best part for me is menopausal brain fog is gone now, I’m back and I ain’t going nowhere!

(Ari the Wolf) #6

That’s actually another factor… I have PCOS, and was already prediabetic. Hormonally, now, I’m neither. I still have PCOS, my ovaries are still in the same general condition as before, but every symptom other than cysts has vanished.

(Ari the Wolf) #7

I know what they mean by that, haha! I think keto is the first thing I have ever, ever become so willing to actively convert people to.

Amusingly, my gym actually is a Crossfit gym, but my trainer knows I’m mainly there for strength training, and I’m doing martial arts four days a week outside of that. A bit over a year ago, just walking through the mall or such was barely tolerable, and I had arthritis that was practically crippling. Now, I might be a little stiff in the morning or on cold days, but once I’m moving, I feel like a freight train :smiley:

(eat more) #8

brilliant! :joy:

(Jo Lo) #9

Yes, I’ve found that it works for arthritis too.

I had bad knee arthritis about 5 years ago. They took MRIs and said I might never run again (I enjoy very long runs).

But after 2.5 years of LCHF/keto I have no pain and I’ve done two marathons and a bunch of shorter runs, as well as weeks of difficult backpacking. An orthopedic surgeon friend recently told me “Dude, you cured yourself with a low inflammation diet. Amazing”.

(Arlene) #10

Ariana, Read up on iodine deficiency and cysts. :slight_smile:

(Dustin Cade) #11

I love all of these things, I talk to people on my Journey, the people I work with see how I eat, see me turn down anything with sugar or carbs that is offered to me on an almost daily basis, working in an office there is lots of food passed around… I’m a friendly normally outgoing person, so spreading the Keto cheer just sort of happens…

(Roxanne) #12

Yes, this! I no longer miss the bun or the bread, just enjoy the fillings on their own!

Yeah…i see the funny looks I get when I ask them how much would they enjoy a plate of pasta without any sauce, or pizza without the toppings.

Great job being the example for others to follow! And of course a congrats to you for improving your health!