"Because Ozempic" podcast, episode 229

(Bob M) #1

I thought episode 229, about the weight loss drug Ozempic, was interesting. It was also short and to the point (only Ozempic).

Richard’s idea of getting a DEXA (dual energy X-ray absorptiometry) is a good one. Unfortunately, where I live, these are (1) hard to find (the machines are everywhere for bone mass, but no one buys the software you need for the other calculations) and (2) are expensive (in the range of $150 US dollars per scan).

I think I am going to fork out the money (and time to drive somewhere), though, to get a DEXA scan, as while I look better and feel better, and have set new personal bests in body weight training, the scale has gone up AND (more concerning) I’ve had to loosen my belts by one hole and my “thinnest” size 34 pants no longer fit. That COULD be because I’ve gained muscle mass around my waist, but it could also be fat mass, or both. It’s very hard to tell without a scan.

(Robin) #2

Good luck on your quest. Let us know how it goes!

(Bob M) #3

I’ve found a place that does DEXA and metabolic rate testing. It’s a drive, and expensive, but I’ll likely have it done, when I get the time.

$275 for DEXA and metabolic testing:

https://www.dexafit.com/locations/connecticut/westport

About an hour drive.

(Robin) #4

Well, if you’re in Connecticut, an hours drive anywhere would be lovely.

(Bob M) #5

Although if it’s during the day, it might be brutal. :wink: I made the mistake one time of making an appointment in “southern” CT to get my bike looked at, on a Friday in the summer. It was only 20 minutes or so down. Going back took soooooo long…well over an hour. Why? Because in the summer on a Friday or weekends, CT is a thoroughfare from points south to points north. Say, NYC to Boston or to Cape Cod.

If I remember correctly, this would be a lot of back roads, which would be nice.

(Robin) #6

I forget about traffic. I guess that’s the price of admission for you.

(Joey) #7

Eager to hear that these are your new bulging abs & glutes, taking up room in those pants. :crossed_fingers:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

My father used to commute from Trumbull to Stamford, fifty years ago, and it took over 45 minutes back then. I commuted to New York during summers in college, and if we left by 7:00, a.m., we’d be in Manhattan by 8:30. Leaving at 7:30 meant we wouldn’t get there until 9:30. Today, it would take even longer, since the Merritt Parkway and I-95 are now parking lots for much of the day. We might as well live on Long Island, lol!

(Joey) #9

Notwithstanding Richard’s efforts to stick with the facts and leave room for others to make their own call, I got the impression he was not a fan of the idea of taking Ozempic for weight loss purposes - but was respectfully restrained out of respect for Carl’s choice.

But of course I could just be projecting based on my own biased view. :man_shrugging:

The general agreement I’ve heard that “when you stop taking it the weight comes back” sounds a lot like one is signing up for a life sentence of Ozempic once you start. Perhaps better than morbid obesity if that’s one’s only hope, but I’d want loved ones to make that their genuine last resort.

(Bob M) #10

That seems like a reasonable synopsis.

The lowering of HDL is concerning. It took me years to go from <40 to the mid 50s, and I’d not like that to go down again.

(Joey) #11

From what I’ve gathered from the hodge-podge of research papers I’ve encountered thus far, I’d give up having a low LDL in exchange for a higher HDL any day. Especially when the LDL are the larger fluffier particles.

Moreover, lowering serum trigs in conjunction with that higher HDL also seems well worth letting one’s LDL do whatever the heck it will do. :test_tube: :syringe:

Did I miss the part where Ozempic is shown to accomplish any of that while it messes with one’s appetite signals for as long as you take it (i.e., seemingly forever)?