Because almonds don't lactate

milk

(Karl) #1

FDA tightening up rules on what “milk” is, seeks public comments…

(Kaiden) #2

What about coconuts? They have hair, they have milk, they have meat. Coconuts are mammals. Specifically, due to their high level of Capric and Caprylic acid, coconuts are goats. Very small, very round goats.

…because the FDA doesn’t have anything better to do. :thinking:

(Karl) #4

…And if this article ever gets linked anywhere else, I am stealing this exact quote. Try and stop me :slight_smile:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

Of all the issues with food labeling, this is what they decide to crack down on?

I don’t really care if almond milk is called milk or not (because the average person is smart enough to know it’s not or can easily look it up).

I do care that sugar gets hidden using 20 different names that keep changing once we learn them.
I do care that manufactures can claim 0 by manipulating serving sizes.

Calling something milk that clearly doesn’t come from a mammal is not high on my issue list.

(Wendy) #6

I loved the one commenters “I can’t wait to hear the FDA’s stance on hotdogs.” :joy:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #7

Hotdogs can be eatten cold. Does that make then ColdDogs? While we are at it: is a HotDog in a bun a form of sandwich? Just got to ask. :thinking::wink:

(Wendy) #8

And do they contain real dog? Quite a staple in some parts of the world.

(J) #9

One of the docs I work with mentioned this to me yesterday, because she often recommends calcium fortified almond milk as a substitution for her patients who don’t like/tolerate cow’s milk. She says this was a push from the dairy industry. I haven’t sought to verify because I think this is ridiculous, but I am not surprised that this is likely a push from a competing industry.

(Edith) #10

Unfortunately, coconuts don’t create their own heat; they require an outside source to get warm. Therefore, I think coconuts must be reptiles.

(GARY SORENSON) #11

As Tom Naughton would say. “Follow the Money”. Dairy Farmers are organized enough and wealthy enough with their federal subsidies to out spend the similarly wealthy and organized almond industry.

Then you can probably add politics to the issue (Almonds are grown in California) dairy’s are spread out all over the country.

So, regardless about how you feel about the decision, it required corruption and politics to get the change to occur.

Now, how to fix the sugar labeling issue? Health insurance companies won’t take it on because they have a financial incentive to keep rates high. Possibly a state Medicaid program?

I’m sure the pressure comes from the dairy industry which I don’t personally have any beef with. See what I did there? That being said I only use “Non-dairy almond beverage” in my smoothies. Not because cow’s milk is bad or that I’m confused about all the different types of milk but because I like it better and it has less carbs, calories, etc. I know the rice industry is having heart palpitations over cauliflower rice also. What’s next? Will I have to start using “highly viscous coconut derived liquid” in place of coconut cream in my curries?

(Chris) #13

Bold statement.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #14

Am I placing too much faith in the human race?:sweat_smile:

(Kaiden) #15

I removed my faith from humanity and placed it in coconuts.

(Edith) #16

My children think the milk name needs to stay because no one is going to be able to say “nut juice” with a straight face.

(Deborah ) #17

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #18

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Central Florida Bob ) #19

Reptiles don’t have hair, so coconuts can’t be reptiles. Since they’re not mammals and they’re not reptiles, not birds or fishes, they must be a totally new kind of animal.

Can we get a grant for this?

Like a platypus