Be careful of replacing regular bread with "Extraordinary Bites Keto" bread

(Matthew Friend) #1

I just wanted to caution anyone who might see “Extraordinary Bites Keto” bread and think that since it only has x1 net carb it is a good replacement for regular bread (I love bread). I am diabetic with good control (I stay between 5.1 to 5.4 on my A1C’s for the last 10 years).

First I would say that the bread tastes good but… If I eat x4 slices (2 sandwiches supposed to = x4 net carbs total) my bG will increase 50+. This bread may say 1 net carb, but something is wrong with it and it acts pretty much like normal regular carb bread. I’d suggest limited quantities if you are on Keto or diabetic.

Now I’m going to have to test other brands to see if this ‘resistant starch’ really makes any difference in the total impact of carbs…

I recently got a CGM (Freestyle Libre 2) which is great for monitoring changes when I eat different foods. I used to test at the end of 2 hours but now I can easily test 10 or 15 times in a 2-3 hour period .

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Resistant starch, as an industrial product, is a cheap replacement for the fibre that is normally stripped out of foods as they are being processed. My understanding is that it counts as part of the fibre content of the food (or “edible food-like substance,” to use Michael Pollan’s term).

Resistant starch at the home-cooking level, on the other hand, is a mythical beast, to my mind. You can supposedly raise the fibre percentage of a batch of rice by something like 0.3%, by spending a few days heating it and cooling it in the proper manner. But one slipup when you go to heat the rice to eat it, apparently, and the resistant starch returns to being regular starch.

(Robin) #3

I’m always Leary of net carbs. I do best just counting total carbs. There’s lots of temptation in that fiber, for me.

(Allie) #4

Personally I won’t consume anything that feels it necessary to put “keto” in its name, especially not anything processed as they’ve only appeared since keto became fashionable so are likely just trying to cash in on the trend. There’s nothing I want to eat that cannot be made at home with trusted ingredients.

(Bob M) #5

I do think it’s fine to buy some of these products, as sometimes there’s no time to make anything. For instance, I want to try a version of the PSMF “bread”, bought all the ingredients…weeks ago. The number of times I have made this bread so far? Zero. Keep thinking I’ll make it, but never do.

Edit: On the other hand, Costco has a bunch of “keto” products, which often have added (real) sugar and less then desirable oils such as sunflower oil. And “bread” is always tough, as it’s typically made from many ingredients.

(Doug) #6

:smile::neutral_face: It’s a minefield…

50 from a bread isn’t bad at all, how quick are you returning to baseline?

:crazy_face::astonished::flushed:

And I thought that the “keto” oatmeat with fruits (totally normal oatmeal, just little. it was very similar to the other little oatmeal packages I think) was bad…

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

Agreed, but a few things there are good keto stuff. I use a keto granola, egg wraps, cheese whisps, and a keto nut blend from Costco and neither me nor my T2D hubby has any issues with those.

Lately we have tried a few items from Kevin’s, they are branded paleo, but we do fine with those as well.

(Pete A) #10

May be best to rethink replacing things with other versions. IMHO.

(Bob M) #11

The egg wraps are good, my wife uses those for a mexican dish. Do a nice job. The cheese whisps are good too, especially to add “crunch” to things.

There are also cheese “tortillas”, which aren’t bad for cold sandwiches/wraps.

(Joey) #12

Yup, “Extraordinary Bites” clearly bite.

Beware of anything labeled “keto” at the grocery. Read labels carefully and discover the majority of these products are anything but.

I’m with both of you, 100%…

(BuckRimfire) #13

I am also suspicious of all these “keto” products. Depending on how strict you want/need to be, many are probably bogus.

There is an interesting n=1 guy who tests a bunch of things with his CGM for blood glucose peak and integrated-area-under-the-curve (iAuC, basically a measure of the total glucose absorbed over time). He found, for example, that King Arthur Keto flour gave him only 11% of the blood glucose peak response, but 30% of the iAuC relative to a control of glucose (??? I’m not 100% certain of what his control is) so the total effect of that stuff is not tiny. And that’s one of the more successful products tested.

https://www.quantifieddiabetes.com/2021/11/low-carb-flour-replacements-blood-glucose-testing-of-18-varieties-with-some-surprising-results.html