BCAA (Branched Chain Amino Acids) and Fatty Liver

new-study
conversation

I saw that a new study had been released linking BCAAs and Fatty Liver disease. This was a pretty short animal study but it will likely lead to further work. I am bringing it here because I thought it was interesting and also hoping that there might be some really smart people out there who know about kinase and phosphatase along with their metabolic pathways.

I am wondering about the production of kinase when the body is in ketosis and whether or not a low carbohydrate diet reverses the high levels of BCAA in the blood. Many bodybuilders will take BCAA supplements in order to stimulate muscle growth as the BCAA will be taken up by the muscle. I am wondering if while in ketosis the body is more likely to make use of BCAA which is why the ketogenic diet is muscle sparing.

Here is a link to the study for your reading enjoyment.
Diabetes researchers find switch for fatty liver disease

Anyone have thoughts on the matter?

Happy Friday!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I have heard the opposite. If you are not a bodybuilder, BCAA’s are not only not helpful in ketosis, they can, in fact, be bad for you. If I can track down the reference, I’ll post it. Unfortunately, I’m now on my third computer since going ketotic a year ago, so a lot of my bookmarks are no longer with me. :frowning:

(Bunny) #3

Published on Jun 8, 2017 Ketosis and Fasting: Do BCAAs Break a Fast or Ketosis: Thomas DeLauer

Ketosis Overview

Ketosis is a metabolic state that occurs when dietary carbohydrates are in such low quantities that your body must rely almost exclusively on fatty acid oxidation and ketone metabolism

A traditional ketogenic diet sees you reduce carbs to around 5% of total energy intake with a maximum carb limit of 50g per day.

Simply put, a ketogenic diet results in your body using and burning fat, rather than carbs, for fuel (energy)

BCAA’s Overview:

Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) are so called because of their structure, which includes a “side chain” of one carbon atom and three hydrogen atoms.

BCAAs are the only amino acids not degraded in the liver.

All other amino acids are regulated by the gut and the liver before being circulated elsewhere in the body.

This means that dietary intake of BCAAs directly influences plasma levels and concentrations in muscle tissue (Layman DK 2003). Interestingly, BCAAs are burned for energy (oxidized) during exercise, so they’re also an important exercise fuel.

So this poses the question…. If it can be used as fuel, can it break a fast?

BCAAs, however, head directly into the bloodstream. This means that dietary intake of BCAAs directly influences plasma levels and concentrations in muscle tissue

There are three BCAAs: leucine, isoleucine, and valine

BCAA supplementation may reduce muscle soreness, accelerate recovery, promotes muscle protein synthesis and supports fat loss (1,2)

Ketosis and Insulin

Insulin’s primary purpose is to regulate the metabolism of fats and carbohydrates. The digestive system breaks down carbohydrates, such as sugars and starches, into a molecule called glucose.

Insulin allows cells in the body absorb glucose so your body can use it for fuel, ultimately lowering levels of glucose in the blood stream

Ketosis and Insulin

Ketosis will take place when the body needs energy and there is not sufficient glucose available for the body.

This happens when the body is lacking insulin and blood glucose levels become high.

BCAAs can Spike Insulin

Studies have shown that branched-chain amino acid supplementation increases insulin levels and concentrations of FFAs

Leucine, specifically, stimulates glucose uptake for up to 45 minutes (3,4)

Insulin and Ketosis Study

Despite there being some benefits to supplementing BCAAs, it may not be wise to do so while in a ketogenic state

In one study, a man voluntarily fasted for 50 days.

His ketones were high (14 mmol/l) and he was injected with insulin (around 0.1 IU/kg, so around 7-8 IU).

For 30 min, his ketones and blood sugar dropped and there was a massive uptake of ketones by the brain and ketone production was halted.

However, within 30 min his ketones started shooting back up

In short, an insulin spike can kick you out of ketosis, albeit temporarily, as insulin clearance is seemingly fast (5)

BCAAs While in Ketosis (Increase in circulating BCAAs)

In one study dietary replacement of carbohydrate by fats were studied in six healthy subjects, which was preceded and followed by a 3-day period of balanced diet.

During the ketogenic diet, levels of free fatty acids, glycerol and 3-hydroxybutyrate rose significantly and glucose levels decreased by 16.5 +/- 3.2%

The hormonal pattern switched towards a catabolic mode with a fall in insulin levels (-44.0 +/- 6.3%) and a rise in glucagon concentration (+39.0 +/- 10.4%).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6761185

The average levels of gluconeogenic amino acids (alanine, glutamine, glycine, serine and threonine) were reduced by 8-34% while those of the branched chain amino acids increased by more than 50%.

Concluded that a ketogenic diet may result in an increase of circulating BCAAs within the body - so supplementing with BCAAs may be even less necessary while in ketosis (6)

References:

1. All About BCAAs | Precision Nutrition. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-bcaas
  1. Ten Benefits of BCAAs | Poliquin Article. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://main.poliquingroup.com/articlesmultimedia/articles/article/1088/ten_benefits_of_bcaas.aspx
  1. The Ketogenic Diet and Insulin Resistance | Ruled Me. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.ruled.me/the-ketogenic-diet-and-insulin-resistance/
  1. Ketosis - What is Ketosis, Effects of Ketosis and Ketosis Levels. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/ketosis.html
  1. Hyperlipid: Neuron fuel and function. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/2014/07/in-comments-following-previous-post.html
  1. Hormonal and metabolic changes induced by an isocaloric isoproteinic ketogenic diet in healthy subjects. - PubMed - NCBI. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6761185

Other:

1. Leucine alters hepatic glucose/lipid homeostasis via the myostatin-AMP-activated protein kinase pathway - potential implications for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease “…Results:
    We demonstrate that pathophysiological leucine appears to be antagonistic to insulin, promotes glucose uptake (and not glycogen synthesis), but results in hepatic cell triglyceride (TG) accumulation. Further, we provide evidence that myostatin (MSTN) regulation of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) is a key pathway in the metabolic effects elicited by excess leucine. Finally, we report associated changes in miRNA expression (some species previously linked to metabolic disease etiology), suggesting that epigenetic processes may contribute to these effects. Conclusions: Collectively, our observations suggest leucine may be both ‘friend’ and ‘foe’ in the context of metabolic syndrome, promoting glucose sequestration and driving lipid accumulation in liver cells. These observations provide insight into the clinical consequences of excess plasma leucine, particularly for hyperglycemia, IR and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). …”
  1. Branched chain amino acid metabolism profiles in progressive human nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. “…The pathological progression of the disease from simple steatosis to nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) has been well defined, however, the contribution of altered branched chain amino acid metabolomic profiles to the progression of NAFLD is not known. The three BCAAs: leucine, isoleucine and valine are known to mediate activation of several important hepatic metabolic signaling pathways ranging from insulin signaling to glucose regulation. …”
  1. Top 7 Health Benefits of Leucine – and Side Effects “…Leucine Increases Energy Leucine breakdown produces two molecules that are used to obtain energy: acetyl-CoA and acetoacetate [R]. In rats, leucine also serves as a precursor to different fats (fatty acids, nonsaponifiable fats, and sterols) that are later broken down to produce energy [R].
    Fasting leads to increased levels of leucine in the blood and increased activity of enzymes that convert leucine into ketone bodies and used for energy [R].
  1. Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA), not Leucine, May Protect HepG2 Cells from Palmitate-Induced Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease “…Preliminary data shows no treatment effect on SIRT1 or mTOR phosphorylation. Taken together, these data suggest that DHA, not leucine, has the potential to reduce markers of NAFLD in HepG2 cells. …”
  1. Build Muscle on a Keto Diet: Nutrition Science

(Jason Kather) #4

Interesting… I have been taking MAP BCAA’s 30 mins prior to strength training because I train in a fasted state around noon 2-3 days/week. I break my fast after the workout which tends to be around 2pm (18 hr fast, 6 hr feeding window). I find that, although they don’t seem to provide any workout boost, they definitely alleviate my post-workout soreness considerably.
I gave BCAA’s a try prior to weight lifting based on a number of articles & podcasts I’ve listened to on Ben Greenfield Fitness. https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/supplements-articles/how-to-use-amino-acids/