BBC - Who are you calling fat?

(Allie) #1

Is anyone else watching this on the BBC? It’s basically seven overweight / obese people sharing a house for however long and sharing their experiences which are as varied as the individual personalities.

There are some real emotional parts to it, for me both positive and negative as some are really struggling with their body size and worried about their health but don’t know what to do, while others are promoting body positivity and totally glossing over (ignoring) the science of the risk they’re putting themselves at.

Yeah, watched it. Good summary of the programme. Quite enjoyed, but as you say, felt sad for the people struggling, and annoyed at the almost cult-like obsession of the main body positivity person, who clearly was overtly influential on a couple of the others…

(Allie) #3

Just finished the second episode and wishing the BBC had included at least a basic mention of epigenetics rather than just focusing on genetic predispositions, seems they’ve only given half the info and a lot of people will take that as their personal accountability being removed - it’s genetic, I can’t change it rather than genetics say this, but if I do that I can still prevent it.

It seems the people who have made their body size part of their identity are the ones who are promoting body positivity the most, and that to me screams fear of change / the unknown and an unwillingness to progress or change even though change is very often positive (comfort zone) - who will I be without this?

I really do hope Babs gets the help she clearly needs with her eating disorder, and I hope those who believe they should be able to eat / do whatever they want regardless are able to wake up in a safe way and without any major health issues (though this sadly isn’t likely I know).

(Jack Bennett) #4

The thing with HAES / body positivity is that it’s a logical and inevitable reaction to pervasive fat shaming in society.

If a person is metabolically healthy (I.e. good A1C and glycemia, not diabetic) and overweight, that’s better than being thin and metabolically unhealthy. But that doesn’t prove the converse - that every obese person is automatically healthy.

Along with HAES, methods like “intuitive eating” may work for some, but they also risk prolonging metabolic disease through questionable nutrition, whereas approaches like keto can actually reverse it.

(Rebecca ) #5

It sounds good…I am curious to know if it is available in the US?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

Speaking as someone who has cursed, hated, hurt and punished her body for not being the definition of society’s standards of beauty, I would have been grateful for a bit of body positivity or at least seeing others who looked like me having it. I might have bypassed the self-loathing and been able to move into positive changes sooner.

I’m not saying anyone on this site is doing it, but I’ve read and heard people suggest body positive fat people should be ashamed of themselves and “get healthy” and stop promoting fatness. Yet, the person who is hurting him/herself in their quest for thinness gets a pass because they look good.

(Jack Bennett) #7

Agree :100:

Human dignity and worth is unconditional and does not depend on body shape and size.

Society, media, and people sadly don’t act in accordance with that reality. The assumption of “thin == healthy, fat == unhealthy” is pervasive.

(Allie) #8

Body positivity is a good thing and no one should be made to feel bad about their physical self for any reason, whether that’s size or a deformity of some sort or whatever, BUT I don’t believe it’s a good idea to actively promote a lifestyle that is highly likely to result in serious health issues, whether promoting being overweight and happy, or the other side with extreme weight-loss by whatever means possible.

Yes enjoy life, live the way you want to - but be educated on what you’re actually doing and mindful of the risks you’re exposing yourself to.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #9

I half typed similar a message and then deleted it. I typed it because I agree with you, I deleted it because I didn’t say it nearly as well.