BBC Food Programme on Low Carb Running

(Tom) #1

The latest BBC Radio 4 Food Programme is about the effect of low carb diets on running. Tim Noakes is interviewed among others. In the quest for balance the BBC has done their typical thing of presenting the contrary point of view with less heavy weight scientists (a running nutritionist and a running magazine editor for instance) but it’s still a good listen. It’s the third in a series about running nutrition (series spread over about a year) Podcast link here: https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/the-food-programme/id342927791?mt=2&i=1000405668174

For my part now we’re getting away from the Sydney summer heat I’m running again. My times are faster and my endurance is good. Is this the effect of running fat adapted? Or the effect of running 10kg lighter as a result of being fat adapted… it doesn’t really matter!

Running links
(ianrobo) #2

thanks for the reminder, keep meaning to listen to this one !! and fat adaption for serious endurance athletes is the dogs bollocks !!

(ianrobo) #3

well listened to it and after Noakes they they interviewed a trainer and a nutritionist with the usual stuff we have heard before, which was a shame Noakes was not allowed to come back on what they said

(David) #4

If Michael moseley decides there is a book and a TV programme on keto, he will move towards it. His blood sugar diet is already low carb and higher fat, but his book du jour is microbiome, so…

Set your watch, Michael Moseley’s “Keto the door of health” book, TV programme and web-based health program incoming in 2019.

:slight_smile:

(Tom) #5

Yup it was a shame Noakes wasn’t allowed back on, but that they’re talking about this at all is a good step forward.

I used to really like Michael Moseley, in fact I still do really, but you’re right I do get the feeling he won’t endorse anything until he’s able to write a book about it! Having said that it was the Horizon doco that launched the 5:2 diet that got me into all this stuff. It was pretty successful for me, although I find Keto more successful and easier, but without Moseley I perhaps wouldn’t have found Jason Fung’s books and then Keto…

(ianrobo) #6

yeah the 5:2 fasting was endorsing our WOE as you can not do it unless you are fat adapted at least and probably Keto …

yet he backs away from going the whole hog, I guess other colleagues and pressure from BMA etc ?

(Tom) #7

Yup, probably pressure. But it’s horses for courses. He’s not especially overweight, so can probably get away with the “Mediterranean Diet” he’s a fan of.

Having said that, I successfully did 5:2 without keto. I would have had better results if I had been probably, but I still lost a fair amount of weight. Interestingly I noticed early on that it was easier for me hunger wise to have the 600kcal in one go in the evening rather than spreading it thinly throughout the day which I found stoked the hunger, so perhaps I did become fat adapted. Long term though lifestyle got in the way and I was forever postponing my “2” days.

(ianrobo) #8

of course the med diet as I have discussed elsewhere on here is Lower carb and some argue almost keto levels …

Go to Greece - yes it is in the med and see ho much is meat and veg and salt and very little additional carbs except potatoes which is of course low GI