BBC food podcast - eat well plate

(ianrobo) #1

Anyone listen to this at all ?

Very interesting but the response from the prof who heads up the body who recommends the eat well plate is fascinating, won’t spoil it for anyone willing to listen to it ?

(bulkbiker) #2

Listened to it live and then the extended interview with him.
And to think he’s paid out of the public purse…

(ianrobo) #3

I know and he is supposed to cite evidence and then lies about where you can get carbs for the brain

(bulkbiker) #4

infuriating… there was me shouting at the radio… again!

(ianrobo) #5

But the general tonecwas good outside of that, could not listen to the longer one ! Got to keep BP low !

(bulkbiker) #6

Yes it was a good prog Aseem Malhotra and Dr David Unwin both good as well as a couple of ex T2’s. Only Prof Levy was the fly in the ointment but his lack of knowledge was quite stunning for someone in his position!

(ianrobo) #7

But don’t you think those listening to that outside our community and interested will niecgoogle on what the others said ?

(Ellen) #8

Do you have a link to it?

(bulkbiker) #9

Ful interview with Prof Levy

the programme itself

should be listenable to worldwide I think…

Edit to add features @lowcarbgp Dr David Unwin and Prof Aseem Malhotra author of the Pioppi Diet

(Alec) #10

I need to raise my BP… I think I need to listen.

(TJ Borden) #11

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

(Ellen) #12

Cheers Mark, will have a listen.

(Ellie) #13

If you want to be truly furious watch ‘Eat well for Less’. The episode on BBC Iplayer from last week has a family with a young boy with type 1 diabetes, and despite talking about needing to keep carbs low, the nutritionist on there was still spouting that carbs are the human body’s prime source of energy and essential for our brain and had a diet guide for him including wholewheat bread, rice and various other things.
I almost wrote in to Points of View!

(Alec) #14

Ok, I listened to this and it was very interesting. I got the very clear impression that the programme makers were 100% sympathetic with low carb. All was going well until they interviewed Levi (the apologist for the dietary guidelines committee). The nonsense he spouted was scandalous.

Now I am not sure how that programme as a whole comes across to your average Joe on the street. You have a few ordinary folks saying they feel much better and are no longer sick because they eat low carb. You then have various medical professionals backing that up and explaining this is right, and many people should be eating low carb. You then have the dietary guidelines committe spokesman who essentially said that low carb is not based in science, it’s a fad diet, and the dietary guidelines are based on solid evidence. The producers didn’t comment on Levi’s comments at all. They left the listener to make their own mind up.

Did it raise my blood pressure? Not really. Levi spouts exactly the same line that the policy guideline people did in the conference Richard attended 2 weeks ago: “we’ve reviewed all the science and LFHC is the best diet”.

One day, this will all get changed. But it ain’t gonna be soon. :rage:

(Alec) #15

You should. The more people talk about this the quicker we can save ourselves from sugar oblivion.

(ianrobo) #16

far better summary of mine but that was my view and it is crucial as we will win this war by little steps and the steps have been huge in combination since I started two years ago !