Bathroom habits

(Louie) #1

I’m about two weeks into the keto lifestyle. I’m loving it and feeling good but I’m having issues going to the bathroom (#2) any advice ?

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

You need more magnesium and potassium in your diet. Try Brenda’s ketoaid to help with it, it also helps if you are fasting. I also like magnesium citrate, about 2-3 oz. a day. Really helps me.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #3

Magnesium. Or fiber. Or extra dietary fat.
Or all.

(Trish) #4

Make sure you are getting enough water.
On the topic of magnesium, you could try Natural Calm. It’s a mag drink. Drink in the evening and it should help in the morning. Magnesium is both calming and has a laxative effect for many people. If you’re really having issues , try a tisane that has senna in it. I recommend though that anything you take be done in the evening of no commitment the following morning JIC. It would suck to need a washroom on an hour long commute to work or while in a meeting.
Additionally, listen to your body. If your concern is strictly that you haven’t gone in a few days but you have no urge to go and are not uncomfortable in any way then don’t worry about it. You may just not need to go yet. Don’t forget you’re probably eating less than in the past and certainly a whole lot less “filler”. Your body is using more of what you’re giving it so there will simply be less waste.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Give it some time. I used to experience diarrhea and constipation regularly, when I was a sugar-burner; now that I am a fat-burner, neither of them register on my radar unless I’m ill. @Shallimar’s point is well-taken: your bowel habits are going to be rather different on keto. Give yourself another few weeks to finish adjusting, and if you still have a problem then, come back and we’ll help you figure it out.

(Steve ricci ) #6

Almost every other day, no issues. My fuse gets used up, never excess. My dogs also eat raw meat and i noticed that about their stool. Very small and not as frequent

(Trish) #7

LOL. I was totally going to use the kibble vs raw poop output analogy but figured it would end up needing further explanation. :smile: totally true though. My raw-fed dogs do these tiny poops compared to other dogs of equal size…doesn’t smell and disintegrates fairly quickly out in the yard.

I have been Keto for five + years. My stools have been low in volume and diameter, and lower in frequency.
I am walking the Camino and being fat adapted started using my belly, bosum and bum fat and got scarily thin. I started scoffing carbs (tortillas, bread, desserts, 72% chocolate, potato soup, lentils, etc and my stools are daily, big and bold.
I am a week out from finishing, and just had a flu like few days after upping the carbs. Idk if that was carb flu or cold flu. It is wet and cold here.
I intend to reduce carbs after getting over the last mountain at Cebreiro.
My weight has stabilised. I can’t weigh myself but my ribs are not visible. My ribs were visible a week ago. I got a shock.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

God bless you! I’ve read about walking the Camino, but never thought I’d be able to. Now that I’m keto, however, who knows?