Bariatric Surgery: Death Rates and Cause of Death within 5 Years Post OP

That’s very prudent. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you on your keto/weight loss journey. I have a great deal of weight still to lose, but have had excellent results with keto and fasting.

(Edith) #62

Of course, one look at their bulging muscles, I’m sure, would make the doctor’s know they are not obese even if the BMI said so.

(Nasir) #63

Thanks. I started this year and have lost about 37lbs so far (SW 340). Slowed/Stalled a bit now but I am sure positive changes are still happening in body and I will KCKO. I am doing lazy keto though and do sometimes eat complex carbs (love red kidney beans and legumes) but I do OMAD/IF most days and occasional 3-5 day fasts as well.

Same here. I love beans, so eat them occasionally. I also eat fresh fruit (aside from berries) once in a while. Life is a balance, you have to live. I avoid grains, starches and simple carbs, but sometimes indulge in complex carbs.

(Susan) #65

Congrats on your discovery! May it heal your life!
I have watched many episodes of My 600 lb Life and I never understand how some people can lose so much weight before the surgery and still go through with the surgery.
I sincerely hope more and more people discover Keto and fasting and not have to put themselves through the surgery.

(Cindy) #66

I think it’s amazing how much power words have in general. They can be emotional triggers, indicate your age, show biases, etc. Personally, I’ve never been very sensitive to words, but I can remember when I first started working as a deputy. Told my partner that I needed a “bathroom” break. He evidently thought that was funny.
All the men had different phrases for it. So I said “What? Ok, I need to take a piss? A leak? Go pee-pee? Go to the potty? Stop for a download? Is that any better?” At the time, it was really more about showing that I could take a joke, could be as crude as they were, etc.

(Nasir) #67

Yeah I am puzzled as well. As part of eligibility for bariatric surgery on NHS, people are asked to lose 10% weight first and I always thought that if I could lose 10% weight without surgery, why wouldn’t I just carry on losing weight that way?

(Alec) #68

Because it’s harder. They think the operation is a magic cure (when it isn’t).

(Nasir) #69

Yeah people don’t realise they still need to put as much effort in if not more and have risks/complications on top as well.

(Splotchy) #70

Nasir, do have a listen to the DietDoctor podcast last week with Dr Scher, featuring bariatric surgeon Robert Cywes. Dr Cywes used to be obese himself and lost weight with LCHF. He hugely encourages patients to LCHF instead of surgery, even tho he could make more money from doing the surgery! He strongly promotes the psychological support to help people stick with LCHF.

Re surgery he acknowledges there is short term success. However this reverses after a couple of years with weight gain if the patient has not adjusted the content of their diet - ie if they are having sugary drinks, and high carb foods, even in the smaller quantities, the body regains fat.

I work in a healthcare setting and have seen this. Plus post op many people get some nutrient deficiencies, low potassium, acid problems… plus there is the risk of anaesthesia/surgery complications.

It IS successful short term in weight loss and diabetes reversal. But long term? Other risks?

Cywes is informed, experienced as both bariatric surgeon and formerly obese person, and clearly considers the psyche as well as the physiology of his patients. He did three equally interesting podcasts with Zoë Harcombe. Well worth a listen.