Barb Easter

Originally published at: https://ketowomanpodcast.com/barb-easter/

Daisy's latest extraordinary woman, Barb, shows us how to budget our lives to maximise happiness.

Barb - in her own words!

I’m Barb –a Canadian woman who is a bomb-ass wife and mother of two. I feed my people mostly keto on a hardcore budget. I get to chat with Daisy about doing budget keto in Canada, firmly parenting small people who only want candy and boogers as sources of nutrition, and how I found the best that Hawaii had to offer without ever visiting the islands. Daisy let me write this bio myself!

Budgeting
Grandmas Jars Budget Coaching
Dryrun for Businesses

Capsule wardrobe
The Vivienne Files

This week’s end quote is from Florence Griffith Joyner-

When anyone tells me I can’t do anything, I’m just not listening anymore.

Barb’s top tip - “Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.” - was popularised by Voltaire but goes back a lot further. This is from Wikipedia...

The phrase is found in Italian as Il meglio è nemico del bene (The better is enemy of the good), attested since the 1603 Proverbi italiani (Italian Proverbs), by Orlando Pescetti.

The phrase was popularized by Voltaire. He first used the saying in Italian in the article "Art Dramatique" in the 1770 edition of the Dictionnaire philosophique. It subsequently appeared in French in his moral poem, "La Bégueule", in Contes (Tales), 1772, which starts, ascribing it to an unnamed "Italian sage" or "wise Italian":

Dans ses écrits, un sage Italien
Dit que le mieux est l'ennemi du bien.
(In his writings, a wise Italian
says that the better is the enemy of good.)

This sentiment in English literature can be traced back to Shakespeare. In his tragedy King Lear, the Duke of Albany warns of "striving to better, oft we mar what's well" and in Sonnet 103:

Were it not sinful then, striving to mend,
To mar the subject that before was well?

See also an article about it from Gretchen Rubin.

Ho’oponpono

This is Barb’s simple language sheet that she put together for Ho’oponopono. See also Joe Vitali, and Dr. Hew Len, as well as Wikipedia of course.

Hoʻoponopono is a Hawaiian practice of reconciliation and forgiveness. The Hawaiian word translates into English simply as correction, with the synonyms manage or supervise.

"Hoʻoponopono" is defined in the Hawaiian Dictionary as:

(a) "To put to rights; to put in order or shape, correct, revise, adjust, amend, regulate, arrange, rectify, tidy up make orderly or neat, administer, superintend, supervise, manage, edit, work carefully or neatly; to make ready, as canoemen preparing to catch a wave."
(b) "Mental cleansing: family conferences in which relationships were set right (hoʻoponopono) through prayer, discussion, confession, repentance, and mutual restitution and forgiveness." [13]

The process begins with prayer.
A statement of the problem is made.
The transgression is discussed.
Family members are expected to work problems through and cooperate, and to not "hold fast to the fault”.
One or more periods of silence may be taken for reflection on the entanglement of emotions and injuries.
Everyone's feelings are acknowledged.
Confession, repentance and forgiveness take place with the following words spoken by all:
I love you
I'm sorry
Please forgive me
Thank you

Everyone releases (kala) each other, letting go
We cut off the past (ʻoki)
Together we close the event with food to symbolize the letting go and new beginning.

(Karen) #2

Ho’oponpono -love the concept and practice steps. I will try this with the kindies. Barb, you have such joie de vivre

K