Banana?

Ok thanks

She has some nice ideas https://www.wickedstuffed.com/category/keto-breakfast-ideas/

@Aqua_chonk that is not so bad. I was at Target earlier and picked up some punch drink.55 grams

Oh it’s worth it just to look at the well done photos :smiley: (But I surely can pick up some ideas too ;)) And it’s always interesting to see how other people complicate their pancakes (it wasn’t THAT complicated, I just use less ingredients and it’s great but those are thin Hungarian pancakes. and not even the overhyped almond flour was used, yay!).
I dislike chaffles and most cheese flavored stuff so that’s not an option for me (it’s odd as I like cheese itself, alone or on pizza-like things but never wanted cheesy foods, it was quite a problem when I went to restaurants as a vegetarian).

By the way, looking at the thread title… It’s day #3 without fruit for me now. I am impressed considering the previous weeks when I couldn’t skip a day (or I don’t remember. maybe it happened but I am surrounded by various fruits all the time due to my garden and my fruit lover SO. just because I don’t need or desire fruit anymore - normally, at least. these are not fresh things from my own garden so they don’t that a special pull - , if it’s there, being awesome, that has some effect).

(Rebecca ) #64

A Chaffle is basically egg and cheese. There are other variations, also.
I have two Mini Dash waffle makers .
I weigh an egg to split in half and 1/4 C shredded mozzarella for each. Stir and pour. They usually take 5 minutes.
As Paul said, there are many recipes on here.

Polichinta?

You mean palacsinta? :slight_smile:
(Pronounced pah-la-cheen-ta, a website says. Of course, not with an English a, a more closed one…)
But whatever the names is, it’s a good stuff, my big fav. I just optimized it a bit.

By the way I may try chaffles again, I barely ate any cheese lately but now I enjoy it for a while.

Did I mention in this thread that once I run out of erythritol and used banana to sweeten my pancakes? Brave step on vegetarian keto as I don’t eat only 1-2 pancakes… Maybe I started with savory ones…

Yes palascinta. My father made it when l was growing up. He was from Budapest.

Yes, it’s a very common beloved food here, Mom made it so many times… Still rarely compared to how I like it. Almost every day. And very, very, very eggy. Mom did it quite eggy, not white like some people… And I do it carnivore, almost just eggs, it’s so much better that way…

Is that the same as palachinkin? Which when I ate it as a child are crepes that are rolled with jam inside and a dusting of sugar. The recipe is simply milk eggs and flour. Still one of my favorite foods that I no longer eat although my kids never developed a taste, preferring pancakes from a mix! Nice but Yuck by comparison

Given all the flour how could that become keto?

Yep, that’s palacsinta, thin and rolled up. We have a somewhat famous one with stew in it and sour cream poured on it :slight_smile: I am not sure I ever ate it but when I ate floury pancakes, I was a vegetarian or very close to it.
Filling can be zillion things, savory and sweet alike but sweet ones are much more common. Cocoa, walnut (my favorite), jam, my SO only eats walnut+jam ones, quark… Poppy seed (rare)… Surely custard and similar things can be used…

Quark pancakes are great as they can be savory or sweet and in the first case my whole filled pancake is carnivore (it has a little dill but that’s fine with me)… As my pancake don’t contain flour or milk, they are way too carby. And anyway, my liquid is the egg, my dairy is sour cream or mascarpone and powder… Well I don’t use any powder, it doesn’t need it. But it looks like a pancake, tastes good, I use it like a pancake and love more than I loved the old pancakes… So it’s pancake to me :slight_smile: My SO calls it omelet and doesn’t like it. His contains flour. Like, 5g per egg, that’s good enough. Normal pancakes are super floury and not so good. Some people make them white, 1 egg for a huge amount, it is awful, always hated it. I want to taste eggs and the filling, not flour. My pancake has 0.8-1 egg per pancake, depends on the thickness (all are thin but some are thinner than others).

There are zillion paleo and keto pancakes but I found them ALL lacking. I spent YEARS on experimenting, I did it very frequently, it was so, so, so much time and frustration though they weren’t that bad. But not really good either.
And then I realized I shouldn’t add any liquid apart from the eggs and then I can forget about the flour part (be it normal flour or oily seed flour or green banana powder. maybe plantain, I am not sure what that thing is but I disliked the taste after some time) - but only eggs (I saw that version online though) are too much plain omelets to me. So I add something. It’s almost always sour cream but in desperate times without dairy a tiny fiber works too. I go for net carbs anyway.
I think my pancakes are soft (not breaking! eggs are good at not breaking even when thin) just soft and nice :slight_smile:

I really miss palachinkin but even when I fall off the wagon I rarely make them because I have two kids that do not tolerate gluten and the rest never developed a taste for this and it is so messy!

Mine were never white. The way I was taught you put one or two eggs in depending on how many you plan to make. Then you add a reasonable amount of flour until all the liquid is absorbed and it is sticky and forms balls almost. At that point you add the milk until it is thin but not watery! Not a very exact description but having seen it made since I was a baby I know it when I see it. Mine tend to be a little thicker so I probably add too much flour or overmix.

The sour cream is a good idea but does it give it a slightly sour taste? Perhaps creme fraiche would be better? I went through a home made creme fraiche phase a few years ago, I do not remember exactly what I did but probably something like this https://dairyfarmersofcanada.ca/en/canadian-goodness/recipes/creme-fraiche. Also, what about using heavy creme, a little bit of almond flour and eggs? I am now obsessed with my options. I have lots of different sweeteners at home with erythritol and other similar products. Not sure what I would put inside as I like jam but that would be too much

Well, we have sour cream :slight_smile: Zillion kinds, most aren’t sour. But I LOVE sour things so maybe I don’t notice? But nope, they (the pancakes) are fine with cocoa so they can’t be sour… Some are more like cream-like. Some are sour but 10g per egg never ever felt sour to me. BUT mascarpone is more luxurious, nicer and I can get off with using 5g per egg… I have not very clear idea what creme fraiche is, I heard about it, sure but I don’t know if I ever saw it and surely not in every tiny food shop while sour cream is everywhere here, it’s a big part of Hungarian cuisine. I can’t even imagine life without sour cream :smiley: But my style of pancake totally should work with creme fraiche, I think. I would like it, probably. Surely not everyone would consider my pancake a pancake or even good, tastes are different.

That should work too. I never use almond flour as it’s so unnecessarily pricy especially for some pancakes, my recipe is somewhat flexible… I like to keep it carnivore but did different ones (and I am so well-versed in pancakes that I can make not breaking edible vegan pancakes and it’s such a pity as many vegans can’t and I never will need that. but that’s the opposite of my fav, current recipe). To me pancake is usually eggs with a little something else.
Heavy cream is a good idea, I just eat pancakes nearly all the time so I need ingredients I have all the time (cream spoils easier and I rarely have the superior mascarpone but that spoils easier too. and I always keep some sour cream at hand anyway. when I accidentally run out , I use fiber but it only needs a tiny bit to get a soft pancake I like. maybe I mentioned this earlier).

Jam is nice and I sooo avoid it :smiley: Eating sweetened pancakes are already a wild thing (not carnivore) and even I have limits…
But if I really want jam, I can use some raspberries, close enough. It worked with cake, never tried with pancake as I have so many filling options for that.
Tomorrow, if I won’t get an emergency food boredom, I will eat my pancakes with head cheese and quark with sour cream and dill. Maybe cheese and some nice condiment containing tomato and capsicum, it’s not too carby and it’s spicy anyway so I only use a very tiny amount (it’s called goulash creme). I like it with cheese. Or scrambled eggs. Or cheesy scrambled eggs like today.
Did I ever tried Vegemite+cheese pancakes? I am not into Vegemite but my SO is so we have it :smiley:
But there are very many pancake options. All stews work, I liked them with fried cabbage in the past… And these are only the savory options, there are way more sweet ones. Even though I usually just eat cocoa, cinnamon and walnut ones (that’s the best), very rarely poppy seed pancakes. My SO only eats jam and walnut ones.
And sometimes we make… Oh my it will sound so bad in English… Pancake cake. Many pancakes stacked up to form a “cake”. It takes many of our thin ones - or very thick filling but it’s between them, poor things lose the rolled up state (though sometimes pancakes are folded, not rolled. I only saw that in restraurants). I fry a few pancakes any time, I mean it, sometimes I was hungry after my 5-course meal and immediately made pancakes - but I just won’t make 10-20 pancakes. So I used berries between the pancakes so the cake got some height quickly. It still wasn’t high. It was for a high-carber so using zillion strawberries or raspberries in it (among others) wasn’t a problem. (But it’s not many carbs per slice, whatever that means, anyway).
It’s rarely worth the effort and it’s messy but it can be fun now and then.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #73

My mother used to make sour cream cookies. The sour cream gave them a lovely soft texture but not a sour taste. I’d bet that you could use not only crème fraîche but probably also mascarpone.

Yes, sour cream is used in baking a lot. I have some soft lemon cookies but I often see it in popular savory things like cheesy sticks. I have read it makes them softer.
If it’s just a little, it doesn’t make the stuff sour.
Used extensively is a bit different but depends on the sourness of the sour cream. I made quiche with sour cream. I prefer cream but as I wrote, sour cream has a way longer self life and it’s everywhere. And for half the price. And it’s not liquid, sometimes that’s useful too…

Yesterday I did egg, small amount of almond flour (really small, maybe a tablespoon) and creme. That went well. I also added half a teaspoon of sugar as I was out of sweetner (2 carbs I can afford!) Today I tried again with the same recipe and sour cream and I while I could not taste the sour cream, something was a little off tasting (my sour cream was newly opened). I think I will try marscapone next. The only thing is even with using butter it stuck to the pan but it may be me. I did it in my mini waffle maker also, and while it did not stick, it almost did

How much cream did you use?

I did not measure, maybe a few tablespoons? I used a jumbo egg, only one. It was a very light yellow and with sticking to the pan it reminded me of when my grandmother made Crepe Suzette

I have no sticking problems but I need very good, non-sticking pans for that.
I don’t use butter as that burns easily and expensive anyway, I use it for dessert pancakes sometimes as the extra nice taste may be apparent there… But I just use coconut oil most of the time. And lard for the ones I know I will eat savory :slight_smile:
I always put the fat into the pan as it’s useless when I put it inside the dough, no matter what recipes say. That never worked.

I never will have almond flour but maybe I will try this (for me) very dairy-rich and floury kind once when I will have cream… It’s surely different from my eggy one but I imagine it is good. I love cream. What to use for flour, IDK, maybe flour for my SO and egg powder for myself… I am a maniac like that, I gladly eat eggs with eggs…

But today is for sponge cakes again (well, it’s just eggs but with whipped whites, they are wonderful. to me), I used ham powder in some :smiley: Pancakes are for my relaxed weekends or for emergency as I have problems with sticking to fully carnivore ones…