Banana?

I see where it can blow your entire carb intake so l can’t do that. I know that actors who gain weight for a role eat - bananas.

(Allie) #2

What’s the question? :thinking:

Why would banana be recommended on keto?

I just happened to see banana as an option in someone’s comments.

(Joey) #5

Primarily because someone doesn’t understand how keto works? :man_shrugging:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

I’ve only ever seen banana mentioned as a fruit to avoid, since it is so high in sugar. For example, Dr David Unwin, a low-carb physician in England, says that, according to his calculations, eating a single banana is the equivalent of eating six spoons of sugar.

(Allie) #7

Where did you see it?
No one who understands keto would suggest it.

(Polly) #8

I can’t remember when I last ate a banana. Why would anyone who was looking at their carb intake even consider a banana?

(Joey) #9

Before going keto, I ate a banana every single day without fail … cut up in my cereal bowl. Absolutely loved them! :banana:

… and that is why I haven’t had one since. :wink:

(Allie) #10

I used to freeze them in chunks then blend them to make banana “ice cream” as I thought it was healthy…

Right thanks.

Someone on this forum who it would seem has done keto for several years.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

Fruits, the seed-bearing structures of plants, usually contain a fair bit of sugar, which may or may not be mitigated by fibre. A lot of the fruits that are normally treated as vegetables (peas, corn, tomatoes, etc.) can still contain more sugar than people find comfortable on a ketogenic diet.

Conversely, though, a number of the sweet fruits contain enough fibre that people feel comfortable eating small quantities on a ketogenic diet. Bananas contain too much sugar and not enough fibre to be a good fit on keto. Berries have enough fibre, that a small amount should be fine. Some nuts, ditto, but others are just not worth it on keto.

The Diet Doctor site gives lists of foods that are safe for keto, not good at all, and those that can be eaten in small quantities. Another such list would be Prof. Noakes’s green, yellow, and red lists for the “banting” diet (named after William Banting, a Victorian undertaker who published a pamphlet in the 1860’s on low-carb eating). I’m no longer sure how to find those lists, but if you search on “banting” or “real meal revolution,” you will probably get to them, sooner or later.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #14

Keto has fat bombs, vegans have bananas.

Banting food list was three clicks away, ya lazy bugger.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

Guilty as charged! You think I’m actually gonna get up off the couch? :rofl::rofl:

(Joey) #16

Apparently someone needs wireless.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #17

Are you gonna lay there and tell me the search bar is on the other side of the room? Why, you…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

The dog ate my Net browser! No, really!!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #19

I’m hesitant to try fat bombs l don’t understand the carb breakdown.