Banana?

(Allie) #21

That’s not much help without a link to the actual comment / post you’re referring to so we can see the context.

It wouldn’t, not from anybody that understands what they’re doing at least. Not everybody goes by the 20g thing, but either way a banana will add up fast.

I don’t do ‘fat bombs’ either. I do ‘keto coffee’ which is a mix of fat/protein to my macros using coffee as a vehicle. I eat both to macros and a ‘caloric window’ each day. The few times I tried coffee ‘fat bombs’ I spent the rest of the day chasing protein.

I don’t want to point to anyone. Just someone who posts a lot/very long messages. The banana reference didn’t make sense at all.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

For that reason, if something doesn’t seem to make sense, it’s always a good idea to raise the question and get other people’s feedback.

The Dudes, Carl and Richard, have two guiding principles: the first is “Show us the data.” But the second is just as important, and it’s "Find what works for you."

So sometimes when a post seems off, it may be because the poster is an outlier, whose body works differently from the majority of bodies out there. Checking to see what other people think will give you a better basis for deciding whether or not it might be worth trying for yourself.

That makes sense.

(Rebecca ) #27

For what its worth, I haven’t eaten a banana since 2019. In fact, I chose not to eat any fruit at all.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #28

Same. Except I grab a couple native, wild-growing huckleberries when I come across them in season in Oregon. Kind of a tradition. And it honors the bears.

(Allie) #29

The only bananas that come into my house are destined to become chicken poop :rofl:

(Allie) #30

You can’t expect anyone to advise properly on incomplete info. It may not make sense to you, but may do to others. To mention it is not criticising the person who posted about it at all, just asking for clarification to help you understand and maybe learn something. The forums are built for that very reason.

It seems I was summoned. Feel free to point at me :slight_smile:

It’s very sugary (if unripe, starchy, either way, it’s quite carby) so only I eat banana on keto :slight_smile: And a few other crazy ones I suppose. (Okay, I pretty much stopped after I tried carnivore, I just don’t need banana anymore as I found out how to keep my carbs low - lower than ever!!! - without it as a comforting lil extra. it’s still tasty but I don’t need to eat every tasty thing).

I don’t believe in blacklists on keto (just because it’s keto, I had my own blacklist way before keto). Keto only means ketosis to me, low enough carbs, that’s it. If I spend 2-3g carbs on banana, it’s my prerogative. It totally worthed it every time when I was a newbie ketoer :slight_smile: Some people eat tortillas, well that wouldn’t worth it to me, ever. Cauliflower didn’t even fit into my 40g net (in fried form) but yeah, that’s something that doesn’t worth it and went to my blacklist in fried form (I could put it into my veggie soups, in moderation).

It’s our individual choice.

Oh but I ONLY could keep the amount below 2-3g carbs when the banana was frozen (they are great frozen, still soft enough!). I either ate them with chocolate, it’s a perfect sized portion for that… Or I used them in my icecream. Just as a flavoring, it did wonders to my otherwise bland dairy free ice creams. Now that I brought back dairy (ages ago, I don’t even know how I could live without lactose for years), I use cream or mascarpone and don’t need any banana in my ice cream. (And I don’t desire it since carnivore, oh well. Sometimes it’s good for variety.)

It’s like people eating beans or bread. They find a way where it is worth it.

I don’t do this carb allowance thing, it never worked for me so well. I eat almost no plants if I want a good day. Lots of vegs wouldn’t end well. But if I spend 10g carbs on fruit alone, it seems to work. And it’s so very easy and enjoyable to stay below 5g for the rest of the day (I said a big number because I love eggs and I can eat more than that from them. but I can be moderate with them if I want to or if I am bored with eggs so I only eat like 6) so the assymmetry doesn’t bother me at all.

Banana isn’t for times when I desire fruit (well, since carnivore, it’s pretty rare… but I still enjoy fruit so all is well). Fruit is some juicier, sourer thing to me. Banana is unique. I eat it when I want banana.
My top keto fruit was raspberry when I was a newbie ketoer. Not my biggest fav but my garden yields many and it’s quite low-carb. And a few is enough, usually (especially frozen). I eat it differently in season, sometimes.
My top fav fruit (among the dozen favs) is probably sour cherry, it’s good for so many things. I usually ate it frozen with chocolate… Or frozen without chocolate. Or just the juice from the can, with carbonated water. Super sweet fruit (at least mine and the frozen stuff from the supermarket. there are some very sour, not very sweet sour cherries, I know that very well) so a little goes a long way! But banana was the really sweet one, that required unsweetened chocolate after a while. Banana is way too sweet for me to eat alone.

Well those people should avoid it then. It doesn’t add up fast for me.
I can stop at 5-10g banana, always could when frozen. I ate banana only once a day, I grabbed my box, cut off that piece and that was it.
And it saved me from feeling too restricted. I don’t even want to be “strong”. If I don’t enjoy my woe, I quit. I don’t resist temptation. It is me. I never actually said it’s a good idea for people, I just like to mention points from my life. Though I actually like to make it a point that if we just want to do keto i.e. <20g carbs (or whatever we need, it was 40g for me, now it’s almost no plant so automatically almost always below 20g total), we still can eat anything we want - IF we manage to use small enough amounts. It may be triggering. It may be not worth it. It may be impossible (I have no idea how to eat less than 1000g watermelon at once so I can’t eat watermelon on keto. good riddance :smiley: it’s not among my favs just nostalgic and a summer thing. whatever. I don’t miss it. I may go off keto but I still don’t do that to my own body). But you can’t say one can’t eat banana while staying below 5g total carbs a day as it’s not true for me.

(Rebecca ) #33

My husband has eaten a banana everyday for our entire marriage!

(Rebecca ) #34

Do chickens eat bananas!??

(Rebecca ) #35

It’s important to obtain a source of carbohydrate count for foods so you can make the decisions that are right for you.

(Robin) #36

Oh @Shinita, you are one of a kind. I love that you began with, “It seems I have been summoned.” LOLOL.

You do you. (As if anyone could stop ya, right?)

I am jealous of your “loosey goosey “ approach to food. I am so so rigid, I know I am missing some of the pure joy I used to get from my food. Not that I don’t enjoy my food now. I do. I just can’t step outside the boundaries I have put in place to save myself from myself.

A banana would be lovely, even just a bite… and frozen with chocolate?! Heaven! But so would a scotch on the rocks and a cigarette. I can’t even. Ever. But the trade off is worth it. Feel good, strong, etc.

But I do envy you sometimes.

Ok l get it and Shinita has responded.

(Joey) #38

Which begs the question, how many bananas would that be? [You may use a calculator but please show your work.]

(Rebecca ) #39

About 13,505…give or take! And that’s just since we’ve been married!

(Allie) #40

They LOVE them! :star_struck: