Bad knee pain since ketosis

(Basmah Othman) #21

Thank you John.

(Diane ) #22

John, Are you drinking plenty of water? Iā€™m all for whaterver works, but I do not fast for longer than 22 hours.

The way I understand Dr. Bergā€™s way of intermittent fasting is foregoing breakfast and pushing your lunch much closer to dinner. Eating those 2 meals in a 6 hour window, or 1 meal if that works for you. He contends that is when your body is in fat burning mode during ketosis.

Perhaps, you would get the same results his way (it worked for me) since you seem to get into that pain period after 3 days of fasting, you would bypass that all together.

Just my humble 2 cents. :wink:

May you have continued pain free success.

(john) #23

I watch my water intake so i get plenty of water. i do IF when i do not EF. I have been doing keto and IF since feb. and EF since may and so far i have lose 65 lb. i only get these pain and gout after 3 days of fasting. i have had gout for 35 years and in the 80ā€™s i discovered dr. atkins book and that ended my gout attacks. the only time that i got the gout was when i would eat a lot of sugar like ice cream and carrot cake with the refine white icing. i can eat all the meat that i want (even liver) and have no attacks. i really like dr berg videos and i fallow his advise. but i fine that if i mix it up on the times of my eating i keep the plateaus away. and the EF are a way to heal your body and if feels real good plus i lose 7 to 9 lbā€™s. (i really canā€™t explain it). thanks for the reply.

Got the same issues with the knees. My pain is localized to the inner
aspect of both knees which might be osteoarthritis? I am much older
(69).Not sure I correlate to sugar intake. I have gone to using a stationary
bike in the mean time and, knee support when up and about.
The biking does not really hurt after the first 1-2 minutes and I can do
HIT training on the bike, so the activity levels stay moderate to intense.
Not sure yet of a positive recourse for this issue. I have increased my
salt intake as well as electrolytes 2 times a day. No major changes as of yet.
I will monitor this and hope we both find a resolution that does not affect our
ketosis.

(Gigi Face Glam) #25

I just startes doing keto and IF and the day after my first workout I staryes feeling pain my hands and knees. I attributed it to the workout although it seemed weird that I was having soreness iny hands!
Anyway, the pain is still there and I just found this forum and everything you have said matches what I am feeling to some extent. My pain is not that severe tho.
I have done IF before and didnā€™t have this issue. Iā€™ve also done low carb dieta before and never had this issue either, so my guess is that itā€™s the combination of both thatā€™s causing this reaction.

(Betsy) #26

Sodium salicylate can help the uric acid leave the body. I believe the only way that this is available right now is in Alka Seltzer. The aspirin combines with the sodium bicarbonate and forms sodium salicylate.

I read this in a book called, ā€œUric Acid as a factor in the Causation of Diseaseā€, which I found about 10 years ago after waking up one morning with pain in joints all over my body.

According to the book, in warmer weather and when eating a diet more like vegetarian, (cheese for protein) and you have pain, you take sodium phosphate to help with the pain. In colder weather and eating a diet that is higher in purines, you take the sodium salicylate.

(Clara Teixeira) #27

Maybe get your vit D level tested if you havenā€™t yet. My joints hurt if I am low. I take D3 and K2 as well as Omega3 capsules for maximum absorption. There is a suspected link between joint and muscle pain and low D levels.

(Gigi Face Glam) #28

After I read this post (having joint pain myself) I satarted researching on causes and remedies for this pain. I came across a video that suggested ACV and lemon juice. The pain was completely gone after a week of doing this. And also, it takes about 1-2 weeks for your body to adapt. Hope this helps

(Diana ) #29

I am just starting this diet, this is my 5th day. I am experiencing a swollen right knee as of last night. Tossing turning because of the aching knee pain, canā€™t walk without a limp, swollen, tough bending. Any thoughts if itā€™s bc of this new diet? I am very heathy, excercise is minimum, did a bit of walking in a mall, concrete floors last night for 1 hour??? Maybe that brought it on? Help.

(Diane p. ) #30

Iā€™m just reading this forum because I goggled ā€œKeto and inflammation ā€œ and it led me here. Iā€™ve been on Keto since January 2, 2019. Just two weeks ago, my knees really swelled up, more painful than usual and I had to stop working out due to pain. Now they are not getting any better since ā€˜laying offā€™ exercise. And today, theyā€™re worse than ever. Iā€™m interested in the Uric acid and starting ACV, a tablespoon in a.m. I will go to my FNP to request some blood tests. I do have Patella Femoral syndrome and my knees are way worse than ever. Hoping the UA idea is it. Any other feedback is greatly appreciated!

(Diane p. ) #31

How often do you take the alka seltzer?

(Diane p. ) #32

How often do you take the sodium salycilates?

Reading all this info with interest. I started keto seriously in March and, after some mental and dietary adjustment, I have seen some very positive results in mental clarity, mood and energy. Love this way of eating! My problem however is severe joint pain. Iā€™m talking wake-up-at-night, canā€™t walk, canā€™t sit pain. Mostly on one side for some reason? Knee, hip, shoulder, elbow. Iā€™m 68 yo and Iā€™ve been told I have arthritis in my hips. I started an ACV tablet about one week ago. Started also to use more salt. I have been taking vitamin D3 for years as well as a calcium & D supplement. The pain was never this bad nor in so many joints until keto. Since my doc is not keto-friendly Iā€™m on my own until I find another one (thatā€™s another topic for help!). I donā€™t know where to start in supplementing or eliminating foods. It can seem like an overwhelming, full-time job just figuring this out.

(JennK) #34

I came in here today searching for help with exactly this problem. Iā€™ve been keto for two weeks (after having tried and fallen off the wagon in the past). All is going wellā€“Iā€™m losing weight, my face is clearing up, I have more focus and energy, and made it through a week of rain without a migraine. The only thing thatā€™s giving me grief is severe pain in my knees. They feel like theyā€™ve been hyperextended, the inner ligament on both knees is throbbing, and the pain is keeping me up at night. If I sit for more than 15 minutes at a time, standing up again becomes a big problem in terms of stiffness and pain. With the ridiculously high deductible on my health insurance, Iā€™d rather avoid pursuing this medically if more holistic approaches are available.

I have an update since my original post. I stuck with keto and decided to investigate my intake of foods known to be inflamatory to the system.
Nightshades are a big one (tomatoes and peppers for me). The overall pain has disappeared. I found that I do much better without them. I am getting over my hesitancy about keto and seeing positive results! My weight is going down, I now have energy, I sleep better, mental clarity and memory are improved. I am getting over my tendancy to blame every problem on keto and look at other possible food problems.

But would a high carb diet give you this much of amounts if not fulfilled on Keto?

How are you doing now?

(Diane ) #38

Great, thank you! How about you?

(Vagdev Sohil) #39

guys iam also facing exactly same
my knee hurts badly
i have lost weight and i feel energetic but only thing bothers me is knee pain
should i stop keto?
can anyone please help

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #40

Go on YouTube and search on ā€œDr. Boz,ā€ Annette Bosworth, M.D., who has dealt with this in many of ther patients. The problem, as I understand it, is the dumping of oxalates from plant foods, once carbohydrate intake is lowered. The oxalates form sharp crystals, thus causing the pain. The usual advice is to keep on with the keto diet, and wait out the pain. The oxalates will eventually be cleared. This is also true of kidney and gall stones, which start to shrink on a ketogenic diet. They sometimes start moving in the ducts when they get small enough, but eventually they get small enough to stop causing pains.