Bacon strips ? That was the old days

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

If I were eating bacon strips, 1) I would need to cook like 10 or 12 strips for my breakfast… And 2) I’d be spending my weekly food allowance on just bacon !
Okay not quite … but to make a point.

Anyway, where I’m going with this, is that I buy a 3 lb brick of bacon ends and pieces, for litterally half the price per oz of the premium strips !
Exact same stuff.

Any of you buy this stuff ?

(Raj Seth) #2

I love bacon ends. They are what bacon strips want to be when they grow up.

(Wendy) #3

I’ve not seen them offered where I shop. Where do you get them?

(Doug) #4

:+1: :sunglasses:

(John) #5

I have seen these for sale but the price was not significantly better than regular bacon per pound.

(Raj Seth) #6

I’ll post pics of my bacon ends when I get home. Bought them at Dozier’s in Katy TX
Divine

(Katie) #7

Wendy, If you have a Trader Joes where you shop, I have always found them there.

(Doug) #8

That’s my experience, too. Chris getting them at half price - this is a very good deal.

Trader Joe’s carries them, and it’s around $5 per lb - not a great price but better than $5.49 for 12 oz regular bacon (3/4 lb Ouch! :neutral_face:).

In checking around, Aldi has bacon for $3.85 lb (454 grams). Not sure of current prices, but Costco was $3.75 two years ago. I get it at Restaurant Depot for $3.24.

Costco UK prices, anyone?

Getting a business tax ID (like you’re going to collect sales tax) has some serious benefits. I did it in my home state of Georgia - it’s an online process and was easy. For Restaurant Depot membership, you need it, and membership is permanent - you can cancel the business tax account once you have it.

Costco has advantages for business customers too - membership is the same price; you just need the tax ID. I’m seeing a seriously good deal today:

CostCoBaconEnds

CostCoBaconEndsPrice

Delivered bacon ends, $2.06 US/lb - YEAH BABY. This works out to 4 Euros/kg or 6.55$AUD/kg.

(Ketoviking) #9

I’ve never heard of these, I’m going to give them a look and see if I can find them around my area. I usually cut my bacon into pieces about this size anyway so I can stab it with a fork, this would be cheaper and it’s already cut.

I have not done this yet, but I LOVE to smoke stuff, and Bacon looks pretty easy.

Make BACON at home!!

Our local Costco has pork belly pretty much every day I care to look.

I wonder about his use of sugar during the “cure” phase of his “cold brining” process, but I’ll bet it isn’t ACTUALLY required.

(Doug) #11

Definitely - no sugar required. A gallon of water, a cup of salt (probably best not to use the idodized type) and one’s choice of spices…

(Raj Seth) #12

and some prague powder #1 curing salts
check amazingribs.com for recipe

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #13

Hey guys, I’ve been buying Bacon ends and pieces for close to 30 years, all different brands, at pretty much every grocery store I’ve shopped.
But lately, I’m buying it from the local Walmart family market. Don’t know if any if you have these, but they are much smaller than a regular Walmart, and 95% food.
They were 3 lbs for $6.98, which is a great deal. Recently went up to $7.49, but that’s still only $2.49 a lb. All the strips go from $4 to $6 a lb, so yeah, pretty much still half. Honestly, I can’t believe anybody buys regular bacon strips ?.. At least where ends and pieces are offered. I guess a lot of people have more money than I do.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #14

Hey I’ve had that brand and it was good too. That’s a fantastic price !!! :slightly_smiling_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

Grocery Outlet always has bacon ends, my favorite is EJ’s. 2.5 lbs. for $5. I also really like Wright Slab Bacon, I have been seeing it off and on there lately. Priced between $4-7 dollars for a two pound block. I cook it in the package with sousvide and you can slice it as thick as you want and sear it. Great stuff, fork and knife bacon steaks. I have about 14 lbs in my freezer right now so not buying bacon for at least another week …:rofl::joy::grin:
:bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::yum:

:cowboy_hat_face:

There is one of those Walmart Family Markets right beside the Planet Fitness where I lift. I’ll have to go take a look. Thanks for the tip!

I wish I could find a consistent source of VERY thinly sliced bacon for wrapping my Jalapeno Poppers. Last time I was at Aldi, I bought some Black SomethingOrOther (Black Forest maybe?) that was okay, but 12 oz for 5 bucks is too expensive.

Thin bacon makes crispier wraps for the cream cheese laden poppers in my view.

I was thinking of making my own bacon, just for that purpose.

Jalapeno Poppers or ABT’s aka Atomic Buffalo Turds sounds like a bad idea, but makes for a MOUTHFUL of flavor, and you really could make a meal of just that. (Ask me how I know…)

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #17

Nice :slightly_smiling_face: We have a grocery outlet right down the street. My GF shops there sometimes. Need to look for this. $2 a lb is even better than our family Walmart…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #18

Walmart meat prices aren’t cheap from my experience.

(Doug) #19

Nice… They ought to expand their territory. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #20

The left coast I think is the main territory. Washington down to Southern California. :cowboy_hat_face: