Bacon Poll.. Limp vs crispy

food

(Robert C) #101

True, if you are good at it and lucky all of the time (I am not, even though I usually bake it - sometime overshoot and get crisp when I just wanted limp). My point was really about a pound or 3 a week really adds up year over year, so I’m researching this staple of my diet.

(Robert C) #102

I like brisket too - a lot. A place nearby pulls those big black chunks out of the oven and slices it up to put in bag (which it will be in for a very short time after I am home). But, for me, there is the problem - and why I have to keep it a rare treat. It is too difficult for me to sit down and have the 4 oz. I am supposed to have and put away the rest (it is not an eat to satiety problem - it is a too much protein problem). You can actually buy just 4 oz. but I can’t get myself to do that. So, I am not too worried about the black charred outside because of the very low overall intake. Bacon is much more on the menu (nearly daily) - which makes me want to know more about it (nitrite vs. none, hormones, cured, hidden sugars, effects of a 375F vs 300F oven, etc.).

(Ron) #103

I am still learning about this protein thing.

(Robert C) #104

Hi @mtncntrykid,
I am not trying to worry about protein vs. satiety (I let eating fat to satiety work that angle). My protein is limited by Dr. Jason Fung’s 0.6 grams per kilogram of lean-body-mass of protein suggested for body fat loss. Pretty much I should be about 50 grams/day. 8 oz. of brisket would just about be the whole day in terms of protein. Compare that to 8 eggs or 4 eggs 6 strips of bacon before hitting the limit.

(Robert C) #105

“Limp vs crispy” doesn’t make the former sound good to me (“I like limp” somehow isn’t a great declaration).

I wonder how the poll might have changed for the fence sitters if it was “Juicy vs dry”.

(TJ Borden) #106

I’ll second that motion

(Chris Setla) #107

Any way it’s sliced or cooked is fine with me.

(Shayne) #108

Yup - them’s fightin’ words!

(Not needed) #109

Soft definitely. It has a totally different taste than that crisp garbage.

(jen merante) #110

crispy but not burned

The fat needs to be golden and translucent. But not quite as far as golden brown or plain brown.

PET HATE: When cafes serve you bacon that is all pink, flobboly and so undercooked you have to rip it to pieces.

If it is served in a (low carb) sarnie or wrap it MUST be crisp enough that it bites through cleanly without dragging the rest of the rasher out and tipping half the rest of the filling down your cleavage.

(John) #112

Definitely crispy. But if it’s soft … it’s still bacon. :slight_smile:

… Bacon? It cannot be baked too long.

(The bacon I baked today is too salty to eat)

(TJ Borden) #114

Bag it up, I’ll message you my address to send it to

(Rob) #115

Overnight from Singapore… that is some pricey bacon!

(Sarah Bruhn) #116

as crispy as baconly possible

Heh. Give me the postage fee.

Anyway, I already finished.

(Caitlin) #118

Crispy please!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #119

Crispy. But limp doesn’t grosse me out like it used to. So I do fine either way on hotel breakfast buffets.

(Cara) #120

Crispy!
I put mine in a pan with water so the rashers are just covered. Cook it high and then the water evaporates, the bacon is cooked and then it gets crispy. Turn it over and crisp the other side. Gets crispy without it getting so crisp it breaks your teeth! :slight_smile: