Bacon Poll.. Limp vs crispy

food

I just discovered (the hard way) that reading this thread during day 2 of a ZornFast is a really really really bad idea.

!!!

But since I’m already here, I’ll cast my vote for limp bacon…but only just by a little. So long as it isn’t totally cremated, bacon is good about any ol’ way.

I often buy a 3 pound Costco (Kirkland) brand container of bacon and chop it up and fry it all at once, to juuuuuuust right level of doneness. Of course with the intention of nibbling on it for several days. (Riiiiight…)

Yummy bacon!

(Felicity ) #62

Haha, I’m difficult, I like it somewhere in between!

(Pete A) #63

Limp, sitting in its own fat!

I do love the taste of crispy too, but somehow feel it’s missing something…

(Hal) #64

Crispy, but limp is pretty good too. I like to deep fry my bacon in about 4" of lard. When I tell SAD eaters this, they look at me like I am a space alien… and I look at them with pity::stuck_out_tongue:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #65

Butter: room temp and ideally a bit fermented.

(Ellen) #66

Any way! Depends on what I’m doing with it, have been known to eat it raw on occasion, if it’s in the slow cooker then limp, if on it’s own then crispy preferably, but so long as I’m getting bacon I’m happy.

(TJ Borden) #67

No no no… you can’t try to play all sides.

Okay, you’re on a desert island and there’s a machine that will dispense bacon for you for the rest of your life, but it will only cook it one way…

How do you want the machine to cook it?

(Ellen) #68

Limiting my bacon options, why would you do that to me?!?!? OK, crispy(ish).

(TJ Borden) #69

:pensive:…so sad

(Ellen) #70

Here, have some (limp non crispy) bacon to cheer you up :bacon::bacon:

(TJ Borden) #71

:joy::joy:

(Ellen) #72

The great bacon schism of 2018!

(Ron) #73

My preference is determined by intent. I like bacon crispy as a snack and replacement for the beloved salty chips that no longer invade my desires.
If I am having as a staple food for a nice full blown meal then I like it limp but cooked to the point just before crisping. And for treats I like it wrapped around a duck breast ball stuffed with cream cheese and jalapeno cooked in the smoker grill until crispy on the edge, soft and greasy in the center.:stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::joy:

(Ellen) #74

Cream cheese & jalapeno rolls sound damn lush!

Limp! Why take a delicious piece of meat prized for it’s high fat content and then cook it until most of the fat renders out? Most people I know who prefer their bacon crispy also dip their filet mignon steaks in ketchup lol

nearly blackened, please

(Ron) #77

Honestly I don’t consider the bacon prized for fat content but for the savory flavor it exudes to the taste buds. And while I do like a crispy bacon treat, I have been known to eat fresh filet mignon wild elk steak on the mountain over an open fire (with blood still dripping from its center) right after harvesting.
I prefer my meat naked and rare but your ketchup comment does raise a question, how does it differ covering a nice steak with ketchup as opposed to say being smothered in a Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs Gournay Cheese spread that seems acceptable??:flushed::smirk:

(Randy) #78

Yes indeed. If it breaks as soon as you bend it, it’s too crispy.

That is like boobs vs ass or mercedes vs porsche… inmovable object meets unstopable force.

(Sheri Knauer) #80

I fall into the both category. I used to, and still do, like crispy bacon but the other day, I had some limp bacon in my car and it was a hot day. I got into the car after a few hours of the bacon sitting in there and it smelled so good I had some and it was soft, and warm, and the bacon juice that came out as I bit into it was out of this world! Hail to hot car bacon!