Bacon in big chunks, no slices

I love all fat things!

Mutton… humm!

Perhaps one day. But it’s a good idea. I don’t have a slow cooker (I’ll have to google it) and I’m weary of letting things on the stove for hours.

I’ve bought bacon again yesterday. I have forgotten to slice it, too tired after a long day. But I’ll find a way to slice it and try the oven for 70 min. I’m thinking of letting it bake a bit until I can slice it, then resume the baking. I’m hallucinating about crispy bacon already! Lol

If you’re worried about nitrite, you should go carnivore. Plants are loaded with it, especially greens. You know that beet supplement they constantly hawk on TV? Beets are high in nitrite. That’s how it raises nitric oxide.

(UsedToBeT2D) #24

My local supermarket will give me 10 lbs of beef fat trimmings at $1 per pound. Crock pot for 24 hours, and I have lovely tallow. I cook the remaining fat into “craklins” for dog treats. I even eat some dog treats occasionally.

I have no idea what ad you’re talking about.

About nitrites in plants, I’ve read they’re ok, because of what else is into plants. They occur naturally on plants, whereas they’re additives in meats.

Anyway, I don’t eat a lot of plants. Meat, on the other hand, I’m eating a lot. But I avoid the ones with additives, until I’m satisfied they cause no harm.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

Nitrates are believed to be dangerous because when heated they form nitrosamines, which have been linked to cancer. The nitrates in meat occur naturally, or are present because of the addition of plant matter as a curative agent. Whether nitrosamines actually pose a cancer risk or not is doubtful. The data supporting the hypothesis are not particularly reliable.

It seems odd to many of us, however, for certain people to be gravely concerned about the nitrates in meat, when the same people are completely unconcerned about the more abundant nitrates in plant foods. And would you believe that some of us are even crazy enough to suspect that there might possibly be a vegan agenda at work here, perhaps?

(KCKO, KCFO) #27

This blog by Michael Ruhlman has good info on nitrates. The links are interesting reading as well.
https://ruhlman.com/2011/05/10/the-no-nitrites-added-hoax/

@Corals As for the slicing of bacon, partially frozen is much easier to cut than raw or fully frozen.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #28

As I’ve told you, I won’t watch videos, life’s too short. However I had already watched this one, a part of it. When the cherry picking was obvious, I’ve abandoned it.

Now, I’ve just found a paper that made me feel a bit more comfortable about processed meat. Having said that, I avoid processed foods in general and in my journey, I’m deciding more towards keeping off it, even if in the end I find out it won’t give me cancer. Why eat processed foods if you can eat unprocessed?

Here is the paper, in case it could help someone who’s on the same quest as I to see more clearly:

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M19-1621

The problem is that they recommend to continue consuming as before. Well, I’ve never consumed processed meat more than a few times a year.

As for my latest attempt with the bacon, I’ve cut it into pieces after it had become “soft” enough to allow cutting. Then I continued to bake it. I finished it on a pan, instead of in the oven. It was nice and crispy. A lot of work, but worth it! And I have over half a cup of bacon fat! Nitrite free.