Bacon Explosion

(Seth Overdeer) #1

(less is more, more or less) #2

Without an invite to this sumptuous meal, this is fake news.

That looks amazing. Recipe forthcoming, I hope?

(Seth Overdeer) #3

Yeah, recipe is pretty easy.

Make a bacon weave, usually only 6x6, or 7x7. Not thick cut bacon. I do it on wax paper on a cutting board. You can look these up on YouTube.

Then take 2lbs of sausage of any variety you like, and flatten it out on another sheet of wax paper. You want it about the same size as your square bacon weave, slightly smaller.

Spread bacon bits, and cheese (optional) all over it, staying away from the edges. Some people will add a BBQ rub at this point too. I have, but didnā€™t on this one.

Roll it up like a cinnamon roll. Seal the ends and seams of the sausage well, especially if it has cheese in it.

Roll the sausage roll log onto the bacon weave and roll it to cover it. Smoke it at about 250 for 2 to 3 hrs. If they turn out really fat they can take longer. Smoke them until about 165 internally and bacon is crispy. Theyā€™re pretty forgiving so you can over cook them a little and they will still turn out well. Some people glaze them with BBQ sauce near the end of the cook before you take it off the smoker. Iā€™ve done that before too and itā€™s tasty that way as well.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #4

@Beerdoodle
Nice Fatty.

I did this one with my keto daughter a few weeks ago. It was smoked, hence the color:

Fatties are perfect for Keto.

(Troy) #5

Darn!
Looks so good!

I miss my WSMšŸ˜“

This recipe and pic alone
Time to add to my URGENT buy listšŸ˜„

That is just too good looking. :slight_smile:

(Troy) #7

Oopsā€¦lol
WSM= Weber Smokey Mountain Bullet
Tons of recipes over on their forum!!!
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

(Seth Overdeer) #8

Yes. Perfect for keto.

WSM is a good smoker for the price. Best budget water charcoal smoke

Troy, I hope you got rid of yours for something different and not just to get rid of it. I pity the fool who doesnā€™t have a smoker.

(Troy) #9

No doubt!
Best smoker imho for the price
Steady and NO maintenance
Loved it

User errorā€¦my 100% fault
I left/forgot it in the backyard when I moved way back :sweat:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #10

My first smoker was a WSM. That must have been 30+ years ago. Went a long time without a smoker when I moved. Been smoking again since 2007.

(Seth Overdeer) #11

Iā€™m currently reading Aaron Franklinā€™s book and it has me wanting to get an offset smoker. The Weber smokers are good, but I do get tired of using water and the cleanup can be a bear. I actually recently modified mine so itā€™s no longer a water smoker.

Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N6PFBDW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_UkMJBb58FGJ9W

I also just posted a form of this with some modā€™s in recipes called ā€œSmoked Bacon Wrapped Fattiesā€ if youā€™re interested.

Iā€™ve been smoking meats for about 30 years and just bought a pellet grill and absolutely love it. Labor Day weekend smoked a whole shoulder and two fatties with pig shots on the side. I actually slept while the smoker was going without worrying about temperature. Purists might scoff at pellet grills but I can sear steaks or perform a 14 hour smoke with it so Iā€™m loving it! Jeff Phillips (site originator and professional meat smoking guru) released a cookbook called simply ā€œSmoking Meat: The Essential Guide to Real Barbecueā€ and the smokingmeatforums.com site is one of the most extensive resources for smoking meats as well as www.smoking-meat.com where all the recipes are. WARNING: this site is NOT a Keto site. Also, you might spend many hours there!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #14

I have an electric smoker and use a wedgie for pellets. Not as easy as a pellet smoker but easier than a stick burner. My wife canā€™t stand the smell of smoke (of any kind) so I have to time my low and slow cooking when she is out.

She loves eating the BBQ, just canā€™t stand the smoke.

KCKO and Low and Slow are a good combination.

Iā€™ve used boxes before with limited success, thatā€™s why I like the pellet grill. Plug it in, set the temp and walk away! How does the Wedgie work? OK? After 25 years of babysitting smokers itā€™s nice to relax a little, although the first few smokes I did check it frequently and after that I could even stop opening the smoker finally haha. Old habitsā€¦ I was definitely elated to know I could smoke meats and stay Keto friendly!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #16

The wedgie is great. It uses about 1 lb of pellets and lasts for 2 to 3 hours. For most things I smoke that is enough time. I have recharged it for cheese. I can do cheese with the electric because I just use the wedgie and keep the smoker off. The temp goes to ~90F which is as high as I want it for cheese. I do this when it is cool to cold outside. Getting ready for Cheese in Nov.

(Christopher Hodge) #17

@Hoosiersmoker What kind of pellet smoker did you go with? I recently started using pellets to cold smoke cheese and now Iā€™m in the market for a new smoker thatā€™s easier to handle than the Weber Egg I have.

(Jeb Bower) #18

I did a bacon explosion on my 'lectric smoker a few weeks agoā€¦came out awesome.

One trick I saw was to throw your meat into a 1-gallon ziploc bag and roll it out with a rolling pin. Cut along the seams and you end up with a perfectly square slab of ground meat.

(Sophie) #19

Brilliant! WhoTH comes up with this stuff?!?! :+1: