Backlash Over Meat Dietary Recommendations

(Bob M) #1

The title: Backlash Over Meat Dietary Recommendations Raises Questions About Corporate Ties to Nutrition Scientists

The article:

One quote:

“We’ve published a lot on firearm injury prevention,” Laine said. “The response from the NRA (National Rifle Association) was less vitriolic than the response from the True Health Initiative.”

The True Health Initiative (THI) is a nonprofit founded and headed by David Katz, MD. The group’s website describes its work as “fighting fake facts and combating false doubts to create a world free of preventable diseases, using the time-honored, evidence-based, fundamentals of lifestyle and medicine.” Walter Willett, MD, DrPH, and Frank Hu, MD, PhD, Harvard nutrition researchers who are among the top names in their field, serve on the THI council of directors.

(Central Florida Bob ) #2

Wait… Walter Willett wants to lecture us on conflicts of interest in nutrition research?

Is this the Onion? Babylon Bee?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

Once again with more vegan bullshit…:roll_eyes::unamused:

(Jack Bennett) #4

Not just Willett.

Also, David Katz!! :joy::joy::joy::joy:

(Bob M) #5

Yeah, I’m not sure which one is worse.

The real reason they got mad was that the people doing the studies finally started using the “grade” system, which takes into account the type of study. Epi evidence with low relative/absolute risks will be considered to be of low grade. Epi evidence with high risks will be higher, RCTs even higher, etc. Of course, this is going to make basically everything those three put out look bad, as they primarily use low relative/absolute risk studies for their proclamations. Their very livelihoods are being attacked/undermined.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”—Upton Sinclair

(Jack Bennett) #7

“It’s not fair that we should be held to the standards of scientists!” -epidemiologists

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

I don’t read anything with Katz’s name on it anymore. What a sell out he is.

(Polly) #9

I think they must think we are stupid that we cannot see through them! Also, they are so convinced that they are “right” that they are unable to contemplate any other view.