Back under the bar...finally!

weights

(G. Andrew Duthie) #1

First SL 5x5 workout in around 6 weeks after breaking my foot.

Felt great to get back under the bar, and kudos to the StrongLifts 5x5 app developer, as the app automatically noticed it’d been a while since I lifted and suggested de-weighting by 50%, likely saving me from some pain later on (I wouldn’t have tried to pick up where I left off, but wasn’t sure how to go about restarting “properly”).

Now comes the hard work of building back up to where I left off. :slight_smile:

Another positive note…played softball last week and last night, and I’m hitting better than I ever have, despite 6 weeks of not lifting. Last week, I hit a double, which was a first for me. And last night, my coach told me that our opponents (we’ve been playing them in church league for many years) paid me a compliment on how well I’ve been hitting the last 2 games. Always nice to hear. :smiley:

I broke my arm back in October and have just recently started working out again as well. Didn’t need to take THAT long, so ya, I milked it a bit.

Glad you’re back at it!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #3

I was chomping at the bit to get back to it, but didn’t want to risk injury. Started back with ultimate frisbee a couple weeks ago, and the foot was sore, but mostly muscular from lack of use. Softball didn’t seem to bother the foot much at all, but I was sufficiently out of shape that I was sore for several days after.

We’ll see how my muscles do with the workout. Anticipating at least a little soreness, but with the de-weighting, it shouldn’t be too bad.

Good on you getting back to the workouts. Sorry about your arm. That must’ve sucked.

(Ernest) #4

5X5 is the best!! Welcome back to the trenches

(G. Andrew Duthie) #5

Well, 24 hours later, and my legs are really sore. Not surprised, but ouch!

And I gained 4 pounds overnight. Probably water related to inflammation, but still annoying.

Apart from that, feeling pretty good. :grinning:

(Eric Bryant) #6

Wow…now that was a good workout! LOL Welcome back to the grind.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #7

If only I thought that was all muscle. THAT would be a good problem to have.

I’m thinking today is a standing-desk day. Sitting doesn’t hurt as much…until I try to get up. :smiley:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #8

Second post-fracture workout this morning.

Legs are still very sore, but I think part of the reason for that is that in the last workout I focused on slowing down the motions, particularly on the lowering portion of the squat. So despite de-weighting, I think the overall impact on the muscles was greater than when I was doing the motions faster, hence the additional soreness.

The good news is that it seems as if my muscles were just waiting for this…perhaps there was some building and/or recovery during my time off, or perhaps some autophagy during extended fasting in the interim, but I am seeing more definition and mass, particularly in my legs, even after just 2 workouts.

The body is an amazing thing…