Back squats, argh!

(Ari the Wolf) #1

A lot of people who see me wherever, ask if I exercised to get into this shape. Not really, I did nine months of keto and had lost about 65lbs before I even started to exercise. Since then, I’ve taken on some weightlifting, under a trainer I trust, as well as adding in martial arts later on.

I only go once a week, but something I’ve noticed… Without dealing with glycation related damage, and without my body grabbing for my muscles for fuel before it can even access fat, building greater muscle and strength is a lot easier. Plus, I was told at 25 that I already had osteoarthritis, because of my joint hypermobility. I wake up most mornings, and the worst I go through is being a bit stiff. No torturous pain like I had begun to think of as normal.

In early March, my trainer had me doing squats, and we worked up to a max weight of 75lbs. As in, I could not come back up from a squat with any more than that.

Yesterday, we did squats again. As much as I actually HATE squats… 95lbs. Three times. Not too shabby for a girl who has only been at this about three months AND never really did strength training of any sort, right? Have any of y’all noticed it becoming unusually easy to get good at various exercise and/or physical tasks?

(Sascha Heid) #2

I love squats but my shoulders always start to hurt from them.
I envy you, squats are awesome.
Imagine getting dizzy when you are starting to push up, it’s glorious!
And don’t forget to grunt and scream when you are back up (not during the movement though, you have to keep the air-pressure in your lungs until the movement is complete!).

(Elizabeth Mitchell) #3

Lift with your butt, baby. Your shoulders should just balance the weight. You must be carrying too much tension! I used to lift, many, many moons ago when the world was young and I wasn’t grossly obese. I have a love-hate relationship with squats. Once I learned how to breathe well enough so that I didn’t want to puke after a set, things improved.

(Elizabeth Mitchell) #4

Squats are the most magical of exercises. They will do the absolute best for you of any exercise you can do. Work them, work them hard, work them well. Train for gainz. Your body will love you, and possibly strangers will admire your body and your handiness when moving furniture.

(Allan Misner) #5

Yes, you should be very proud of that accomplishment!

Squats are an excellent exercise. I don’t enjoy doing them either, but hey, we all have to give a little to get a little, right? I do believe ketosis makes weight lifting and recovery easier. I think it has a lot to do with lower inflammation and a better utilization of protein (I don’t have any science to back up the protein claim, but I do find I get good gains without having to load up on protein).

I’m on a strength cycle now and my last workout had me doing sets of 3 - 4 at my previous (old man) one rep max. Note: I break my lifting personal records into young man (when I was very strong) and old man (I’m 51) to avoid letting ego break me).

Congrats on the PR and keep lifting heavy!

(Ari the Wolf) #6

I’ve taken notes on my progress since I started, and every time my trainer cycles me into doing the same exercise again, I manage to add a little to my PR. Huge leap on deadlifts and squats, but a five pound increase on my bench press is something I’m just as proud of. Going from 75lbs to 80 on those had me wanting to dance around the gym floor, because those are almost as hard, at least for me.

The owner calls me the disappearing woman, because my weight is pretty steady at this point, but I’m shrinking pretty quickly still, and in three months my muscle tone has gone from mediocre to visible.

(eat more) #7

this may mean that you are stabilizing with your traps versus your core.
i was guilty of that…apparently it’s a pretty common thing…especially for women

(Jason Cordier) #8

Awesome work! Keep rocking it!

Terrific!

Personal Records are awesome! Keep it up! I’m looking for some myself and expect to find them soon.

This Way Of Eating is very muscle-sparing!

(Cece Blackstock) #10

That’s freaking amazing!! Recently I was able to curl 30lbs… this from a girl who could barely do 10lbs two years ago! :muscle: