Tuesday 4/24/19 Workout B.
- Squat: 5x5 235 lb.
- OH Press: 6x6 115 lb. Three full sets of 6, then 5 on the last two
- Dead lifts: 1 “max pull” 315 - three 45’s per side. Felt great. Then drop set at 285, grip was giving up so I switched to straps, and gave myself a slight back strain.
- Chin ups 3x5 BW + 35 lbs. Going to stay around 25 - 35 added pounds and add reps until I can get up to 10 again.
- Face pulls 4x8 BW 45 lbs.
- Bulgarian Split Squats: skipped due to back strain from deadlifting.
This workout was humbling. I was rushing to get back to some heavy pulls on dead lift. So I jumped from 275 to 315. I started with singles to see how it felt, and it felt fine for a few pulls with a break in between. But I wanted to do my normal reps, so I decided the weight was pushing it.
I brought the weight down to 285, and at that point my grip was starting to suffer. I got out the straps which I don’t normally use, and think between focusing on the straps I let my form suffer and my back round. Go go gadget cat back. Nice hot searing pain in my lower back which instantly finished my dead lift sets.
I focused straight away on stretching and trying to make sure my back self sprinted as little as possible. It obviously wasn’t an actual serious injury, but backs are funny because they cramp up and self splint, which makes the injury painful and difficult to deal with.
I did yoga stretches, pulled my knees to my chest. Then I moved on to doing air squats and air dead lifts with no bar to keep moving.
The next day was stiff, but it progressively loosened up each day, and by 4/30 I was squatting again and doing bent over rows, so it should be mostly healed up.